can water temp sensor cause idle problems?

Hello,
I have been chasing this rough idle problem for some time now. I have replaced a lot of stuff (IAC, MAP, intake air sensor, and tested the TPS). I was reading the Haynes manual and it says the water temp
sensor is connected to the fuel injector system some how. Can this cause an idle problem?
Thanks, Fred
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:51:39 -0000, fawilson

Engine temp is used as a base line to set mixutre (that and MAP sensor at startup determining pressure altitude) so it is conceivable that it could effect idle but it would likely have running problems too. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
fawilson wrote:

What model and year is the vehicle?
JAM

Yes it can....but...
When a coolant temp sensor give an incorrect reading it causes the fuel mix to be either too rich or too lean. If your oxygen sensors are working correctly they will sence the rich/lean mix and the pcm will compensate for it. You would probably not notice this when driving the vehical. What you would notice is the idle speed may be too high or too low as this is the sensor the pcm looks at to set idle speed. Depending on how new your vehical is the pcm could still give a fairly correct idle speed by looking at other sensors and/or calculating run time.
It looks like it's time to get a scanner on it instead of throwing parts at it. It may save you some money in the long run.
Denny

It is very posible. IIRC you disconnect the temperature sensor to check the timing.
beekeep