Can you tow a 3500?

We want to put a tow bar on the front of our '98 3500 dually, 5.9L, 5 speed,to help us speed up the equipment moves between fields. We would like
to tow it behind one of the grain trucks or tractor, depending what is being moved. Someone said we should see if this is possible with this truck and I thought, why not ask the experts...so here I am.
Can it be done?
In the middle of the Kansas wheat harvest, Marilyn
Yes, if as you say, it is a manual, not an automatic. Steve

Yes. If it's a 4x4, resist the temptation to put the transfer case in neutral... leave it in 2WD, and the transmission in neutral. If it's 2WD, just put the transmission in neutral. If it were an automatic, you'd want to disconnect the rear driveshaft from the axle, and tie it up to the frame.
Why would you not want to put the TC in neutral?

"Tom Lawrence" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Because even though it disconnects the transfer case from the transmission, it locks the front and rear driveshafts together. That will cause tire scrubbing (at least) as you make turns.
"Tom Lawrence" wrote:

Good point but not all Tcases do that and the front axle hubs or in this case disconnect will not be engaged so even if they were locked it would not really be a issue and if output shafts were turning like that, it would pump lube through T case too.
"AMK" wrote:

would
is
truck
I cannot see any reason why not as long as you have the proper hitch and tow bar I see no issues and you have a manual tranny too which makes it simpler yet. Make sure tow bar is good and stout because that truck is heavy and I would make the tongue on tow bar 5 or 6 feet long to to make it tow better on turns behind a big truck.
Is the t-case lubed when the driveshaft spins or when the input shaft spins? I know on the NP231 in my jeep, if I flat tow with the rear driveshaft connected, I'll burn up my t-case because the output shaft bearing won't be lubed, but will be spinning thanks to the driveshaft.
Carl

like
being