Cat Back Exhaust

Has anyone put on a cat back after market system and noticed a power improvement. I know they tell you get more horsepower but is it worth the $$.
I'd like to have a beefier sound than stock also. Any recommendations?
I have a 94 Ram 4X4, 5.9L gas Thanks
I had a 97 1500 4x4 with a 5.2 and 5 spd tranny. I put a Gibson single cat back exhaust and a K&N filter kit on it at the same time. I noticed an improvement in top end power, was much easier to pass without downshifting. Mileage went up a bit too, I was averaging around 21mpg, 22 or a little better if i was easy on the gas pedal. The Gibson exhaust had a nice deep mellow tone, wasn't at all obnoxious. I think i paid around $300 - 350 for it, long time ago, not sure. The K&N filter was pretty cool, it was just the regular 14" chrome type, just a bottom and a nice lid with a round filter, looked great, bolted right onto the the plenum. My recommendation, if your gonna get the air out faster, do something to get more in as well.

Simple answer. Stock truck, no.

Gibson, Magnaflow. Or if you really want sound that will chase you out of the truck flowmaster muffler's.
Roy

99 ram 5.2 auto. I got 3" cat back duals from Summit. Less than 300 if I remember correctly. Not much improvement in power but nice deep rumble. I'm going with a cold air package and a power programmer in a couple of months.
Dave