changing horn, 99 Ram

I've got a 99 Ram 1500 that I want to change the horn on. I got an air horn and can't figure out why the damn thing won't work. On the old horns there are 2 sets of wires, 1 for each horn. I tried just connecting the one set of wires to the air compressor, won't work. I tried tying the wires in together, won't work. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
Sarge

Maybe try running a air line to the horns?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I'm not stupid. The compressor will not turn on when the button is pressed.

Reply to
Sarge

I used some wire clips instead of cutting the wires in case I ever wanted to replace the OEM horns. Try grounding directly to the body of the truck. I think that is what I did.

I got one due to too many idiot drivers who like to cut you off and I wanted some more horn power to honk at these fools.

In any event I would not install a air horn like the one you are installing.

I installed one of them with a in-line fuse in from the battery to the unit.

One day I went shopping for 1/2 hour and came out and saw smoke coming from my truck. The thing had caught on fire. Good thing I had an extingusher in the truck

Fuse did not even blow.

***
Reply to
GeekBoy

Take power from terminal #87 of the horn relay (in the PDC). This will be hot when the horn button is pressed. It should go without saying, but the other side of the compressor is grounded, yes?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I had one of those horns.

There are 2 wires per horn with 2 horns under the hood. I think I had the same problem. I ended up grounding to the frame of the truck

***
Reply to
GeekBoy