Changing tranny Fluid on 92 Dakota 8 cyl

How do I find the drain plug is there one?

there is no drain plug in the pan

I've always wondered why that is...I've always got at least one long and one short-sleeved shirt as my dedicated transmission pan removal shirt - short people with short arms are gonna get slimed, just the way it is. I've sworn for years I was going to *put* a damn drain plug in the things, but always wondered - if there isn't one, which is an enormous pain, maybe there's a good reason? (We all know there's always a good reason for automotive engineering decisions...;>)
Cricket

When changing the tranny fluid it's suggested that the tranny filter be changed as well. Since you have to pull the pan to do that, a drain plug is not needed. Now, if they could locate the tranny filter outside the tranny ...
The diffs are the one I don't get. It would be great to have drain plugs in those *from the factory*. There is a company (I can't think of the name off the top of my head) that makes diff covers with drain plugs.
Craig C.

Well, yeah - but if you're as short as me, there's no practical way to get the pan tipped down to drain without wearing some of the fluid...I did learn what an interesting selection of swear words my daughter knows when I walked by her truck as she was changing hers...I *told* her...;>)
Just seems like a nice neat drain plug to get all that slop out of the way first would be nice.

Yeah, them too...(hiding head in shame at remembering I have *got* to check at least two...;>}
Cricket

I looked it up ... the diff cover I was talking about is Mag-Hytec. They also make a tranny pan for Dodge with a drain plug. Take a gander:
http://www.piersdiesel.com/Maghytec.htm
Craig C.
I always put one in at first opportunity. It's nicer to be able to drain the oil in a controlled fashion before removing the pan to change the filter(s). You can't just put the drain plug in any old place, as the plug can collide with the innards of the transmission. Check the plug seals / o-rings after exposing to tranny fluid, as some seal materials don't like tranny fluid and melt. Teflon works best.

NAPA drain plug kit about $6.00 1/2 drill bit and two wrenches

Cool...I can do that...thanks!
Cricket