Check Engine codes.

I have a 1999 Dakota Sport with a 3.9L engine and the check engine light is on. How can i get the error codes? The ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON method doesnt work on my truck.
Thanks in advance. Chris.

Unfortunately, for that model year, there isn't any way to retrieve the diagnostic codes except with an OBD-II scan tool.
OK, then i have no other way that pay the US$80 that the scannig cost here in Chile. I'll do it and post the results. Can you tell me what kind of checking is the truck doing wehn i push the odometer reset button and turn the key into the ON possition? Couse after a few seconds in the odometer display apears the word check and it seems to be checking the display leds and after that all the instruments go to the top of their range and finaly stops and come back the numbers in the odometer and is still on the check engine ligth. Thanks a lot. Chris.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

That's a check of the instrument panel cluster - the gauges, lights, LCD segments, etc. It's just a visual check that you can use to determine if you have a bad gauge, or if a lamp is burned out. No diagnostic codes are available from that.
Auto Zone does it for free