Check Engine Light

1998 Ram 1500 QC 2WD Auto 5.9L - 80k miles
on the way home from work I smelt an electrical insulation type burning smell. Shortly there after the CHECK ENGINE light came on.
I won't have access to an OBD II scanner for a few days.
Is there anything I should look at that usually goes out around 80k miles? Relays? O2 sensor?
I took a quick look under the hood when I got home and checked all the fuses, nothing obvious jumped out at me.
Any thoughts? Is there a way to pull codes from a '98 without the OBD II scanner?
thanks- rich

Unfortunately, no.
Stop by an AutoZone auto parts store. They will read the code for free.
rich s wrote:

Thanks miles-
I knew one of the chains did it, I couldn't remember which one.
Our auto club at work has two of them but I have to wait until Thurs to check one out.
appreciate the help.
rich