Check Engine Light

1998 Ram 1500 QC 2WD Auto 5.9L - 80k miles

on the way home from work I smelt an electrical insulation type burning smell. Shortly there after the CHECK ENGINE light came on.

I won't have access to an OBD II scanner for a few days.

Is there anything I should look at that usually goes out around 80k miles? Relays? O2 sensor?

I took a quick look under the hood when I got home and checked all the fuses, nothing obvious jumped out at me.

Any thoughts? Is there a way to pull codes from a '98 without the OBD II scanner?

thanks- rich

Reply to
rich s

Unfortunately, no.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Stop by an AutoZone auto parts store. They will read the code for free.

rich s wrote:

Reply to
miles

Thanks miles-

I knew one of the chains did it, I couldn't remember which one.

Our auto club at work has two of them but I have to wait until Thurs to check one out.

appreciate the help.

rich

Reply to
rich s