Chevy Van under hood vacuum chamber collapsed. Why?

1989 G-20 Chevy Van has this round vacuum chamber attached directly under the hood, it has one vacuum line attached to it. It used to be perfectly round but now it is football shaped, that is before I tried to use
compressed air to put it back into shape. Now it's just toast. What is the purpose of this thing and why did it collapse? Too much vacuum? Too much engine compartment heat? Or something else? What is this thing called and if I plug the line can I drive without it and not damage anything else? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.dodge.trucks / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:17:50 -0400, GDegen3807 wrote:

sounds like the vacuum res. not vital i dont think but may hender operations like cruise control (if still vacuum operated on that year vehicle) and A/C controls. anything else that would depend on a supply of vacuum during WOT (Wide Open Throttle) conditions when manifold vacuum is lowest. should be able to find a replacement in a bone yard somewhere one off of any S, T, K, or C series truck should work for you.
--
Chris
05 CTD