Chrysler Royal, M6 transmission, fluid drive

Page 4 of 7  


I'm wondering if you might be better off heating the spindle in oil. Did that a lot putting putting a hub on a shaft. Seems to get it hotter and more evenly. But ya can't do it in a oven.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have heard of that before. Sounds like a good idear as well, and one that wouldn't potentially stink up the house.. LOL... I have a hotplate that I use for cooking off grey water, and I guess it could get the oil hot enough. How hot are we talking? What type of oil? I am assuming I should put the spindle in the pot while the oil is cold and set it so it's not on the bottom of the pan. When I heated the ring gear in the oven, I got it to about 300 degrees for at least an hour.
Don't worry, I won't try to heat the oil in the oven... :D It will be outside and I will be wearing enough clothing to protect myself from splashes.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I have heard of that before. Sounds like a good idear as well, and one that wouldn't potentially stink up the house.. LOL... I have a hotplate that I use for cooking off grey water, and I guess it could get the oil hot enough. How hot are we talking? What type of oil? I am assuming I should put the spindle in the pot while the oil is cold and set it so it's not on the bottom of the pan. When I heated the ring gear in the oven, I got it to about 300 degrees for at least an hour.
Don't worry, I won't try to heat the oil in the oven... :D It will be outside and I will be wearing enough clothing to protect myself from splashes.
Trying to remember, been some time. Used 40w locomotive oil, heated by torch for a hour or so. Lota fumes from the oil I don't know what the temp was.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

ok.. the cheap bastard in me wants to use used oil for this purpose... however, I think I might have to press the override button and actually use clean oil so i don't contaminate the spindle.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

ok.. the cheap bastard in me wants to use used oil for this purpose... however, I think I might have to press the override button and actually use clean oil so i don't contaminate the spindle.
I'd go for new. No telling what dilution occured in used oil. Sears at one time sold oil in a 4 gal container for short money.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Lol! Sears used to be a respected name... the outlet in my town is unbelievably sorry. I went in there to get a rebuild kit for my ratchet and had to give all my pertinent information to some jerk in India over the phone in the store to get 5 bucks worth of SHIT parts (the ratchet worked better, broken, before I got the new parts). I am beginning to think that everything sent to the South is intentionally shitty. It doesn't seem to matter what it is , it sucks around here. I can order in good parts from any company that doesn't have an outlet around here, but if it's here, it's hosed up before I get it. Really sad to see the same treatment of the South that led to the war between the states. Slavery wasn't what it was about. I don't care what anyone says. Slaves existed in the "North" as well, so nobody can tell me it was about slavery.
ahahahh... amazing it took me this long to get off on the political tangent.. usually only takes a couple messages in the thread to make me go there.. xD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Lol! Sears used to be a respected name... the outlet in my town is unbelievably sorry. I went in there to get a rebuild kit for my ratchet and had to give all my pertinent information to some jerk in India over the phone in the store to get 5 bucks worth of SHIT parts (the ratchet worked better, broken, before I got the new parts). I am beginning to think that everything sent to the South is intentionally shitty. It doesn't seem to matter what it is , it sucks around here. I can order in good parts from any company that doesn't have an outlet around here, but if it's here, it's hosed up before I get it. Really sad to see the same treatment of the South that led to the war between the states. Slavery wasn't what it was about. I don't care what anyone says. Slaves existed in the "North" as well, so nobody can tell me it was about slavery.
ahahahh... amazing it took me this long to get off on the political tangent.. usually only takes a couple messages in the thread to make me go there.. xD
Nah, it is pretty much screwed up everywhere. I'm in Fl and it is truly crazy here.
Ditch the craftsman and go with snap on.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just a thought.... you could probably use Jodi's oven.... she doesn't use it.....
;^)
Mike (ducking and running)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Wow!! That will leave a mark!!!!!
Roy
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Well, we know who's not getting any cookies now...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Yesterday, i managed to heat up one of the spindles immersed in oil to around 280 degrees. I drifted the bushings out without mangling the bushing bores. Gonna try to at least drift out the ones on the other side today. Took my little hotplate about an hour and a half to get the oil and the part up to temperature. I didn't want to go much higher on the temp so it didn't start popping and splattering all over the floor, not to mention coking the oil in the pan..
I am REALLY hoping the cold bushings will drop right into the spindle, because I really don't have the correct tool to beat/press the new bushings into place without mangling them if it's not an easy drop in... I'm nervous!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If you have the spindle hot and they are the right bushings they should go in. Did you mic the spindle and bushing?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

no, actually i didn't think to do that. I will do that now and make sure everything's kosher! Thanks for the suggestion!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

no, actually i didn't think to do that. I will do that now and make sure everything's kosher! Thanks for the suggestion!
If the spindle is hot and the bushing cold, I'd question the measurement. Should be ambient imo.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

i measured everything at ambient temperature. The bushing for the bottom bore of the spindle matched the dimension, but the replacement for the top bushing is .005 too large. I was able to install the bushing for the bottom into the hot spindle (it wanted to go in easily, with taps from a dead blow hammer). However, the top didn't look even close to fitting the hole.. I called the parts supplier and "it wasn't a good time" for him, so I guess I will have to wait some more again. I am going to call the local Bearings and Drives place and find out if I can get replacements for the needle bearings (tillotson NB-15) for a reasonable price. After beating the NB-15 out of the spindle, the OD is 1.002 instead of 1.005 for the new top bushings. I would rather try to force something .002 larger instead of .005 larger... Unfortunately, the store has closed for the day. Guess I'll try the supplier again..
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
d'oh... meant torrington NB-15 instead of tillotson.. i have gas on the brain..
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I called again and I was berated by the person on the phone for asking a question. I guess he found it odd that I am fixing the car myself. I guess nobody does that any more. And, of course, *everyone* knows how to fix a 1949 Chrysler. The question was "the upper bushing is OD 1.005, the ID of the spindle is 1.000. Is this a normal thing?"
Once he queried whether I was fixing it myself, the response was "Yeah, well you're supposed to take it to a machine shop and have a procedure called RRRRRRRREAMING done"....
From the outcome of the telephone call, I guess I've already been RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAMED!
Usually, when I replace worn parts, I don't have to have something bored out... unless it's the cylinders of an engine. I dunno, I guess that's just me. Maybe I'm just a moron or too picky or something. Must be me.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Thinking for a minute. Before I reamed the spindle,'cause it may have a hardened bore surface (for lack of a better word) that you may not want to remove. I'd look at dressing the bushing.. For the amount you have to remove some time with crocus(sp) cloth might be in order.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

ok, i figured reaming out the hard parts was not quite the ticket.. the only problem I have with the dressing method is how I can keep the bushing true.. I guess good old-fashioned patience is going to be the only way to do it. dress a little, measure the thickness and OD until I get it to the right size.
All I can think that would happen reaming the spindle is that it would probably work for a while, but could possibly wear out a lot faster. Then I would not only have to replace the kingpins again, but likely the spindles as well. Who knows if the "new" spindles would even fit. After the trouble I've had so far with parts, I am going to assume nothing new is going to be right on the money.. If I wanted to put the wrong stuff on there, I would have ditched all the old suspension and put (heaven forbid) chevy stuff on there.. hahah
It's truly invaluable to have you all as a sounding board! I would be ripping more of my hair out without the advice..
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Hair? You've got hair? WTF, I don't have hair... Oh wait, perhaps I pulled it out years ago!!!!! <BSEG>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.