Chrysler Royal, M6 transmission, fluid drive

I have heard of that before. Sounds like a good idear as well, and one that wouldn't potentially stink up the house.. LOL... I have a hotplate that I use for cooking off grey water, and I guess it could get the oil hot enough. How hot are we talking? What type of oil? I am assuming I should put the spindle in the pot while the oil is cold and set it so it's not on the bottom of the pan. When I heated the ring gear in the oven, I got it to about 300 degrees for at least an hour.

Don't worry, I won't try to heat the oil in the oven... :D It will be outside and I will be wearing enough clothing to protect myself from splashes.

Trying to remember, been some time. Used 40w locomotive oil, heated by torch for a hour or so. Lota fumes from the oil I don't know what the temp was.

Reply to
Roy

And whatever you do, if caught don't say: "This is the best thing that ever came out of the oven..."

Reply to
PeterD

ok.. the cheap bastard in me wants to use used oil for this purpose... however, I think I might have to press the override button and actually use clean oil so i don't contaminate the spindle.

Reply to
Nza

LOL! Ok, thanks for the advice! :D

Reply to
Nza

ok.. the cheap bastard in me wants to use used oil for this purpose... however, I think I might have to press the override button and actually use clean oil so i don't contaminate the spindle.

I'd go for new. No telling what dilution occured in used oil. Sears at one time sold oil in a 4 gal container for short money.

Reply to
Roy

.

Lol! Sears used to be a respected name... the outlet in my town is unbelievably sorry. I went in there to get a rebuild kit for my ratchet and had to give all my pertinent information to some jerk in India over the phone in the store to get 5 bucks worth of SHIT parts (the ratchet worked better, broken, before I got the new parts). I am beginning to think that everything sent to the South is intentionally shitty. It doesn't seem to matter what it is , it sucks around here. I can order in good parts from any company that doesn't have an outlet around here, but if it's here, it's hosed up before I get it. Really sad to see the same treatment of the South that led to the war between the states. Slavery wasn't what it was about. I don't care what anyone says. Slaves existed in the "North" as well, so nobody can tell me it was about slavery.

ahahahh... amazing it took me this long to get off on the political tangent.. usually only takes a couple messages in the thread to make me go there.. xD

Reply to
Nza

Just a thought.... you could probably use Jodi's oven.... she doesn't use it.....

;^)

Mike (ducking and running)

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Wow!! That will leave a mark!!!!!

Roy

[...]

Nah, it is pretty much screwed up everywhere. I'm in Fl and it is truly crazy here.

Ditch the craftsman and go with snap on.

Reply to
Roy

Well, we know who's not getting any cookies now...

Reply to
PeterD

Yesterday, i managed to heat up one of the spindles immersed in oil to around 280 degrees. I drifted the bushings out without mangling the bushing bores. Gonna try to at least drift out the ones on the other side today. Took my little hotplate about an hour and a half to get the oil and the part up to temperature. I didn't want to go much higher on the temp so it didn't start popping and splattering all over the floor, not to mention coking the oil in the pan..

I am REALLY hoping the cold bushings will drop right into the spindle, because I really don't have the correct tool to beat/press the new bushings into place without mangling them if it's not an easy drop in... I'm nervous!

Reply to
Nza

If you have the spindle hot and they are the right bushings they should go in. Did you mic the spindle and bushing?

Reply to
Roy

no, actually i didn't think to do that. I will do that now and make sure everything's kosher! Thanks for the suggestion!

Reply to
Nza

no, actually i didn't think to do that. I will do that now and make sure everything's kosher! Thanks for the suggestion!

If the spindle is hot and the bushing cold, I'd question the measurement. Should be ambient imo.

Reply to
Roy

i measured everything at ambient temperature. The bushing for the bottom bore of the spindle matched the dimension, but the replacement for the top bushing is .005 too large. I was able to install the bushing for the bottom into the hot spindle (it wanted to go in easily, with taps from a dead blow hammer). However, the top didn't look even close to fitting the hole.. I called the parts supplier and "it wasn't a good time" for him, so I guess I will have to wait some more again. I am going to call the local Bearings and Drives place and find out if I can get replacements for the needle bearings (tillotson NB-15) for a reasonable price. After beating the NB-15 out of the spindle, the OD is 1.002 instead of

1.005 for the new top bushings. I would rather try to force something .002 larger instead of .005 larger... Unfortunately, the store has closed for the day. Guess I'll try the supplier again..
Reply to
Nza

d'oh... meant torrington NB-15 instead of tillotson.. i have gas on the brain..

Reply to
Nza

I called again and I was berated by the person on the phone for asking a question. I guess he found it odd that I am fixing the car myself. I guess nobody does that any more. And, of course,

*everyone* knows how to fix a 1949 Chrysler. The question was "the upper bushing is OD 1.005, the ID of the spindle is 1.000. Is this a normal thing?"

Once he queried whether I was fixing it myself, the response was "Yeah, well you're supposed to take it to a machine shop and have a procedure called RRRRRRRREAMING done"....

From the outcome of the telephone call, I guess I've already been RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAMED!

Usually, when I replace worn parts, I don't have to have something bored out... unless it's the cylinders of an engine. I dunno, I guess that's just me. Maybe I'm just a moron or too picky or something. Must be me.

Reply to
Nza

Thinking for a minute. Before I reamed the spindle,'cause it may have a hardened bore surface (for lack of a better word) that you may not want to remove. I'd look at dressing the bushing.. For the amount you have to remove some time with crocus(sp) cloth might be in order.

Reply to
Roy

ok, i figured reaming out the hard parts was not quite the ticket.. the only problem I have with the dressing method is how I can keep the bushing true.. I guess good old-fashioned patience is going to be the only way to do it. dress a little, measure the thickness and OD until I get it to the right size.

All I can think that would happen reaming the spindle is that it would probably work for a while, but could possibly wear out a lot faster. Then I would not only have to replace the kingpins again, but likely the spindles as well. Who knows if the "new" spindles would even fit. After the trouble I've had so far with parts, I am going to assume nothing new is going to be right on the money.. If I wanted to put the wrong stuff on there, I would have ditched all the old suspension and put (heaven forbid) chevy stuff on there.. hahah

It's truly invaluable to have you all as a sounding board! I would be ripping more of my hair out without the advice..

Reply to
Nza

Gotta admit, I laughed at this post... Mostly because you're asking advice on a car that is likely older than the parts guy! (And assuming that the part(s) are right, too...)

Yea, usually things are worn, and you have to shim them, not ream... I wonder if there were multiple sizes to handle manufacturing tollerences? Machining in that era was not nearly as good as it is on today's cars.

Reply to
PeterD