clanking noise from engine of 98 dakota 4 cyl

There is a loud clanking coming from the engine on my 98 dakota. It sounds like its coming from the top end, but am not positive about that. I thought
that it was something with the rocker arms, so I removed the valve cover, and removed all of the rocker arms, and compared them to each other trying to find unusual wear in one of them. Needless to say I didnt find anything, they all look normal. I did a compression test on all of the cylinders too, and they seem to have good compression (45/55 lbs) on all of them, so I think that I can rule out a bent valve, or can I? I also removed the oil pan, thinking that it might be something with the oil pump, but everything there looks normal too (no scratching, or obvious metal hitting something else).
I'm kinda out of ideas.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
What is your compression? Not 55! You might as well take a look at the timing chain,you have it all torn down anyway. It could be a bearing, knocking.