clear trouble code

Does anyone know if the trouble codes detected and stored in the PCM can only be cleared by using the OBD-II scan tool, or we can do it by simply disconnecting the system from the battery?
Thanks.
- P

(holds envelope to forehead to divine information as to year and vehicle) Sorry my pshycic powers are non functional today. If it helps, my 99 1500 clears when you pull the battery.
RM wrote:

Thanks for the reply. My Ford Taurus recently has a trouble code detected. I thought the ODB-II codes and the related processes are quite standardized.

repaired the problem that set the code it will come back anyway. If your getting the vehicle inspected soon in an area that checks for codes tell them you had the battery out.
-

This won't work for NYS inspection. Some codes are set after certain tests are run. These tests run during certain driving cycles. Disconnecting the battery makes these tests start over again. If you go in for inspection, right after battery disconnect, any test that hasn't had the required amount of drive cycles will show up as incomplete. You are only allowed 2 (3? not sure of the number) incomplete tests before your inspection fails.

drive cycles and either tell you to leave or if your OK they will run the test.
--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York

BULLSHIT

and watch them roll on the floor laughing and then they tell you to drive it for a couple hundred miles before youo try to get it inspected again
Common Urban Legend (and false) is that if your vehicle has a "check engine" code stored you can clear it by disconnecting the battery for 30 secs and then immediately pass an OBDII emissions test before the light comes on again.
Yes, that will clear the code, but here in Texas (likely pther areas too) you won't pass the emissions test.
Whenever you disconnect the battery or reset your ECU with an OBDII scan tool your ECU will store several "not ready" codes indicating that a recent reset has occurred.
It will take typically somewhere between 50~100 miles of driving for these "not ready" codes to clear and change to "ready". The inspection station should explain this to you and tell you to come back in 48 hours and put at least 50~100 miles on the vehicle between now and then. They will also usually give you a retest for free.
This should also be explained on a large placard on the wall of the inspection station. The OBDII emissions test can also determine if your "check engine" light is defective (i.e., bulb removed). It does this by telling the inspector whether or not the MIL lamp is on. If their test says it should be on but it isn't on, they will make you get it fixed before they will pass you.
writes:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:38:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@dodgecity.cc wrote:
Same here on the left coast.. the neighbor kid's little jimmy pickup got turned away until he put a few hundred miles on it because the battery had been disconnected... He had sold the truck with the agreement that the stock sound system would be put back in.. disconnected the battery to change sound systems and held up the sale of the truck for 3 days until he could pass smog.. lol

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing