clicking.clunking from front end

Help I've been getting a rather loud clicking/clunking from the front end of my 2001 Dodge Dakota sport 5.9L quad cab. Already the transfer case and the CV drive axles have been replaced and
still the noise continues, but now the noise seems to be centralized only on the driver side of the truck as before it could be heard thru out the front end. The noise can only be heard when the truck is in drive and moving so it has been hard to pin it down. any suggestions anyone can offer or if you have had this problem please let me know what to do. thank you for any help you may offer
--
Treasure Every Day For it Could Be Your Last
Don

Does it change when you change speed? Have you exchanged two tires to see if the noise follows the tire or not?
FMB (North Mexico)

A friend of mine with a '00 Durango was going nuts over a clicking/clunking sound.... turned out to be his sway bar. The bar had shifted over a little bit, and was binding in the pocket of the driver's side lower control arm. We removed the sway bar, greased the hell out of both the bushings and the ends, put it back on, and no more noise.

been tried as of yet. I'll give this a try this weekend and report back thanks
Don wrote:

Check the shock absorber mount bolts. If they aren't tight enough they will cause a clunk or rattle noise.
--
Ken

be, the truck has 115K on it maybe time for new shocks ? thanks

What? Only 115K? Nah.... they should be good for at LEAST 200K, if not more..... :^)
On that size vehicle, stock shocks are good for between 60K-80K, depending. The same guy with the clunking sway bar finally got tired of bouncing around like a Cessna in a tropical storm, and put on a new set of shocks. BIG difference in ride quality. You don't notice the degradation much, as it's so gradual (like the proverbial frog in boiling water), but you'll certainly notice the improvement.

soon. thanks for the help ..Tom and Nosey... et al... Don

Don, This may be a long shot, but I had a driver's side clunking noise on my 2004 Dakota QuadCab.... Dealer said most common causes were the abovementioned sway bar, but could also be secondary steering shaft. That's what it was on mine. They replaced it under warranty, and no more noise. One note though, mine made the noise mostly on braking, especially when rounding a corner. Larry

Note to newsgroup.... I used my first name (obviously), but I see there is another "Larry" that posts a lot here. I just changed mine to LarryD to avoid confusion.... Sorry, Larry.
Larry D.
Well, that didn't work...I will try logging out and logging in again.... Larry D.
Sorry for all the posts... trying to get the nickname to change....
What are you using to post with?
"Larry" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I am not sure what you are asking... Just using Google to access this group. I changed my nickname in my profile but it doesn't seem to use it when I post. Larry

One more try.... I didn't know you had to actually subscribe to a group to change the nickname. I wasn't subscribed before, so I am trying again... Larry D.

weekend my problem only seems to happens when I push the gas pedal. it won't make any noise when braking or coasting and it only happens while the truck is moving, we actually had a guy sit on the engine and ran the truck in the parking lot to try and find where the noise was coming from. Oh well back to the fun Don

I have a similar problem with my dodge durango. I took my shock off and I noticed that the whole where you pass the bolt is slightly elongated. I think it may be the problem - similar to the bolt being loose. My noise happens when I press the break only. I don't know how to get rid of the noise though. I can feel something under my non- pedal foot when i hit the breaks.