Closure: 01 Dodge 24v Diesel lift pump pressure

First, thanks for all your help and advice.
To recap, I recently bought a 2001 Dodge 24V quad cab long bed TD. I had a pressure guage installed on the lift pump to monitor pressure. It was
installed between the lift pump and filter. It registered around 7.5 psi at idle (varied by +/- 1 psi or so) and would drop to 3, 2 or even 1 psi while under very moderate power (empty truck, not pushing it).
I bought a pump and filter (around $180 with tax) from Cummins.
Replacing the pump was not that bad a job. Using a furniture pad to kneel on, I used a 14 mm socket to remove the bolt holding the retainer for the intake fuel hose, a 17 mm ratcheting wrench to remove the intake and output hoses (being careful to save the gaskets!), then finally a 13 mm socket to remove the 3 bolts holding the pump. I had to use an 11 mm wrench to hold one of the studs as it came loose from the pump and finally it came out of the pump and a tiny vise-grip came to the rescue holding the stud while removing the nut.
Of course you need to unplug and reconnect the electrical!
Installation, the reverse of removal, went much more smoothly than removal except for losing the 8mm bolt that holds the retainer for the intake hose, but I bought another from the local hardware store so we are OK again.
I replaced the filter too as it was 15k ago. I filled the filter reservoir with diesel fuel and when I started the engine I maintained 2000 rpm to keep it from stalling (it did not try to stall).
Now the pressure is 15 psi at idle and I cannot so far get it to drop below 10 psi. It seems my investment in gauges has saved me a $2k repair bill for the main injection pump!
So we watch the gauges and wait for the next time...
Charles
Nice to hear things worked out great for you!! Lorne

Charles, What lift pump did you buy? It clearly is not the original one as 15 PSI is twice the normal pressure. Many of us have the same problem. I seriously looked into the F.A.S.S. solution like Tom Lawence did, but I found $600 too rich for my blood. So on eBay, I bought a Detroit Diesel fuel processor with heater, a BMW 30 amp relay and a ProComp. 140 gph 14 PSI fuel pump that I will piece together for a similar solution. My total cost, not counting connectors, hoses and labor will be $240, so I'm not displeased. My only concern is the suitability of the pump, as it is designed for gasoline. Steve

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:04:48 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"

My '01 idles at 13psi and on the road 9psi. I installed a mechanical type gauge at the suggestions of members of this group. Might be that the earlier pumps were not the same as the later ones.
DE

-
Steve,
The box says "Genuine Cummins Parts" on it. It is CPA0144172 Kit, Pump, 3990082. It was about $140 wholesale.
I bought it from Cummins in Henderson, CO near Denver, 8211 96th Avenue or thereabouts.
Lets see how long this pump lasts!
Charles
Steve Lusardi wrote:

Sorry, now that I check, it was $160 wholesale.
Charles.