Clunk!

Gotta love old(ish) trucks (2001 Dodge Dakota, 4x4, 4.7l v8, manual)

Got driving after work, noticed immediately tht there was an odd clunk when I'd depress the brake pedal. No change in braking capability, couldn't feel it, but could definitely *hear* it. Went away after maybe

10-20 minutes of stop-and-go driving. After an hour's commute, never did come back, and braking still feels normal.

If it matters, it's a rainy, warmish (80f) and humid afternoon.

What could it have been? Should I worry?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Broken shock mount?

Reply to
Bill

Suddenly, without warning, Bill exclaimed (5/29/2009 7:05 AM):

Dunno. Shocks *seem* fine. What would I look for?

Truck's fine this morning, no clunk at all.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Geeze, did you take the cement block out of the bed yet?

(Yea, I've found so many odd clunks were cargo shifting in the bed, or the tool box!)

Reply to
PeterD

Mine was the jack...in my 2006 Dakota.

Reply to
Denton

You may have had a stuck brake. You mention in your orginal post high humidity. Had this happen with a Mazada pickup after driving through a flooded street. Piston started sticking and would suddenly release making a clunking sound and the steering wheel would jerk. Once free it would work fine until it stuck again. Took several months to find out what was causing it.

Reply to
Licker

Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (5/29/2009 9:31 AM):

No, that's the squeak in the back (that rumbling noise is the hand cart in the bed box. This was a clunk in the front. :) The "stuck brake" idea in another post sounds reasonable to me. I'll see if it comes back again.

And, I'm definitely driving too fast if the cement block shifts - LineX!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Probably those CCC's you made for Denny!

Reply to
Roy

Motor mount? Can you open the hood, hold the brake, and give it some gas. See if the motor moves. Try reverse too. (You may have someone else look for you).

Reply to
Bill

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (5/29/2009 4:49 PM):

Well, yea, if they were still in the back they'd be that hard by now :)

But cccs don't last that long around here.

::looks around and whispers::

Don't tell Denny, but I have a cookie jar full of sdccc's right now (sourdough cc cookies). They're too yummy to share!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I've just hired Abby from NCIS to trace this post. I'll have your house in my gps in a matter of minutes. I'll see you tomorrow!!! And there better be cookies left!!!!

Denny

Reply to
Denny

No cookies unless you bring Abby with you. You may need McGee to get through my protections though. You'd better hurry, the cookies are going fast!

jmc "I have a computer, and I know how to use it!"

Reply to
jmc

Poo on McGee. I have a mean ferocious boxer named Mauser that'll tear your "protections" to shreds......as long as they smell like a doggie bone......

At least you could e-mail me a pic of a cookie......

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I could...

I've got my computer set up to not accept cookies though, so I won't be able to get the picture onto it!

(bada-boom)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

That's bad...... even for this group.....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I've just hired Abby from NCIS to trace this post. I'll have your house in my gps in a matter of minutes. I'll see you tomorrow!!! And there better be cookies left!!!!

Ya hired nobody!! NCIS is on re-runs!

Denny

Reply to
Roy

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (5/31/2009 9:37 PM):

Well, duh, that's why she has time to track down my cookies!

jmc

Reply to
jmc