Clunk noise when accelerating after shifting to reverse

1987 Dakota V6 automatic goes clunk after shifting into reverse and depressing the accelerator pedal.
Does not go clunk when shifting back into drive from reverse or to drive
from park.
I cannot tell where the clunk sound is coming from. It is not frighteningly loud, but definitely noticeable.
It is a new phenomenon.
Any thoughts?
Jack

U-joints are my first thought. Is it a 4x4 or a 4x2?
I'd stick it on a lift and look for play in the drive train, I'm sure that will help narrow things down.
PeterD wrote:

4x2
Thanks, PD

yea, throw it on a lift and see whether there is any noticable slack in the drive line.

I can't believe that the Princess of Dakota Noises hasn't responded!
Maybe Jack dosen't like cookies?
beekeep
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:25:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (beekeep) wrote:

Sshhhh... Maybe Jack doesn't know about the cookies...
Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (7/12/2010 7:31 PM):

Cookies? What cookies? Dunno anything about no cookies!
Suddenly, without warning, beekeep exclaimed (7/12/2010 6:25 PM):

Only a princess? Darn. I was out of town. My truck does have a clunk, but it appears to be something about the brakes - even after replacing pretty much everything, it's still there sometimes when warm. Seems to be innocuous.
jmc

Either bad u-joint, or motor/trannsmission mounts