Code P0456

Code P 0456 is described as "Leak has been dectected in the evaporative system." The gas cap has been removed and reinstalled seventeen times or
more over a three thousand mile period without the check engine light and code P0456 clearing.
Is there a way to prove the gas filler cap is at fault without replacing the it?
JohnC 2002 Dakota, 3.9, auto, quad and if Mr. Red Neck still reads this ng the color of the truck is Pat. Blue
JohnC wrote:

Yes but a new cap would be cheaper than having a shop test it. If the cap isn't the problem then you have a leaking hose somewhere. Check all hoses from the tank to the charcoal canister and from there to the engine compartment. On top of the canister is a plastic hose manifold. That could be cracked too.
I agree with miles. Change the gas cap. and to clear the check engine light, unhook the battery for for 'bout a minute. If it comes back after that then there is definitely a leak in your lines somewhere. Maybe replace the lines just so you know that there isn't any leaks. Good luck with that.
Thank you both for the tips and advice.

overfilling the tank does it also..done it myself a few times..it just clears itself in a few days
scott

You're apt to discover that any code that "clears itself" may still remain stored and come back from the grave to haunt you on vehicle emissions inspection day. Been there and done that...

RamMan, SeaCowboy, Miles,scooter, et al:
The dealer, Miller Dodge in Binghamton, smoke tested it and intalled a new gas filler cap. Less than $35.00 well spent.
JohnC

You have a good dealer then. The cap costs about $11 and shop labor is about $75/hour. No shop here will do anything for less than 1/2 hour labor charge.
JohnC wrote:

Is that Binghamton, NY? Just curious, my brother lives there. Would be pretty funny if he was looking for a Dodge and I could say "A guy told me Miller is pretty good."
'Course, my brother never listens to me anyway, but still...;>)
Cricket

Cricket...
Yes, it is Binghamton, NY. I live in Chenango Forks a few miles north.
JohnC

Small world - though Chenango Forks sound like it ought to be out west somewhere with cowboys and such...
Of course, we have a Hell (as well as a Paradise) here in Michigan, so I probably shouldn't pick on other people's place names. ;>)
Cricket