Code P442?

01 Dakota, 4.7L Check engine light on but runs fine.. Shows code with key on, off etc.. couldn't find 442, but I'm definitely NOT a mechanic..lol Only 442 I remember was a bad-assed olds..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Hey Mac, hope you are doing well down there.

P0442 means either too much tequilla or 'da machine', not sure I remember which...

or, it could mean P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak) per

Stay safe,

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Suddenly, without warning, FMB exclaimed (5/16/2009 12:22 AM):

Same truck as mine. Could just be you didn't put the gas cap back on right... but in my case there was a vacuum hose that'd cracked. Sorry, don't remember exactly where it was.

I think if it was just a one-time gas cap thing, it'll clear on it's own. There's a way to clear it manually, but I forget how.

If it keeps coming back, try replacing the gas cap first.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Doing great... When ya coming down???

Yep.. sort of what I suspected.. damn computers.. ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

We had that "problem" in 01, when we first got the truck.. several times..lol I took the cap off (it clicked, so probably not that) and put it back on, we'll see if that helps.. thanks!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Almost have her convinced it is "OK" to go to Mexico. This year prob is out though, lots of dredging to do while I can, before the crooked injuns and politicians shut it down.

Next year, driving to Alaska again.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Well, I can't speak for "Mexico" (mainland) but this area of Baja and the route from the border is safer than most place in the Bay Area or Central Valley....

Nan's folks came down a few months ago.. both in their 70's.. Jumped in their Blazer and drove from N. Dakota with no problems and had a great trip.. They loved the Baja 250 and will be back in November for the 1000..

There are people getting killed in TJ, but they're all police and drug dealers.. The road from Calexico/Mexicali to San Felipe is safe and only about a 2 or 3 hour trip.. (about 100 miles)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I keep tellin her it will be a nice safe trip, but it won't be nice unless she can chill... it ain't happening yet.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Well, if it helps calm her down, we meet folks in El Centro or Yuma (prefer Yuma) sometimes and they follow us down..

Gives Nan a shopping trip and makes folks feel a little more comfortable the first trip.. After that, they're comfortable coming down by them selves..

You might also tell her that Nan hates me along on shopping trips, so she goes to the States alone or with another lady.. Never had a problem and I don't worry about her as much as I would if she was going from Fresno to Oakland and back..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Mac, I had the same problem on my 03, turned out to be a vapor line, in the frame rail, under the cab, follow the line from the tank and look for the canister, about under the seat.

Tom

Reply to
Tom R