code readout on digital odometer

One of my kids has a 2000 ram. I was curious if cycling the ignition switch would show trouble codes on the digial odometer. Some say it will and some
say say it won't. I talked to a Dodge dealership, they said that wouldn't work.
I cycled the ignition switch three times, the digital odometer did change, it read, " P DONE ", I don't know if that meant there were no codes? I was tempted to unplug an engine sensor and run the engine just to see if a code would show-up, I didn't. Anybody ever read codes, this way, on this vehicle? thanks
P Done usually indicates the end of the display codes so it appears that your vehicle can do it. IIRC, there was one year that could not. Your best bet would be to wait for a check engine light to come on and try it again.

"jdl" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.carjunky.com> wrote in message
TBone wrote:

It can't be done on my '99. Not sure of other years.
If 99 was the first year of the electronic odometer, that is probably the year that I was thinking about.

"Nosey" < snipped-for-privacy@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message

'98 was the first year for the digital odometer, and it didn't work then, either.

My '99 Durango 5.9l slt will display the dash computer codes, like "no bus" or "1999" as well as indicate the status of an initiated dash test as it progresses. A heat sensitive PCM gave me an education as to what that little vfd can tell you sometimes. I don't think these codes are the same as the codes read from a obd-2 scanner however. Hope this helps, I wasn't quite sure which types of codes the thread was discussing having not followed it until today. Returning to my more normal "lurk only" status now.... Joe Brophy CountryTech Computer email: snipped-for-privacy@spiretech.com

Howdya get it to display them? My 99 Durango SLT won't respond to ignition on-off routine.
Peter

No, it won't - and those instrument cluster diagnostics will do you no good at all. Bottom line - if you want to retrieve your OBD-II codes, you need a scan tool. No other way around it.

Another well-informed dealership employee....
Yes, 2000 trucks (and any year after that, as well) will display the codes on your odometer. Pdone signifies that all codes have been displayed. You just don't have any codes. If you really want to prove this, unscrew your gas cap, and start the truck. Give it a bit, and the CEL should come on. You can then retrieve the diag. code with the key on/off method, and it will display on the odometer.
Thanks for the replys. I wish all automakers had keep the generic method for the codes. thanks