coil question

Page 2 of 2
<LOL>
That engine did sip the oil . . .quite well, to be frank, 75 miles per quart at highway speeds, yet at less than 50 mph it didn't use but a quart every
300 miles. The engine was severely overheated shortly after I bought it because the previous owner didn't mention the holes in the radiator so when I drove it 7 miles to a friend's house after paying cash, it got so hot it quit running. After it cooled, I replaced the head, changed the oil and drove it from 1976 to 1998.
I figured the oil rings lost all tension from the overheating and it pumped oil up past the good second ring and the broken top rings. The young person I bought it from said he had "rebuilt" the engine. I don't think he cut the ridge out of the bores when he did.
--
Budd Cochran

"Nosey" < snipped-for-privacy@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
✖
Budd Cochran wrote:

mine is carboned up really good, but it doesn't burn oil -- just a little dark out the exhaust upon first startup
rach
Add pictures here
✖
Dark blue (oil and rich mixture) , Blue-gray (oil), black (rich mixture).
Lean the choke settings out a bit till it starts easily but no black smoke.
--
Budd Cochran

"Rachel Easson" < snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
✖
Budd Cochran wrote:

<snip>
<chuckle> Bonjour! Ça va?

wild! i did gather a bunch of articles on how to super-six these i just want a reliable daily driver in this truck (or its friend the other 86) cheap on gas and available to cart things around a few times a week what I found more interesting was a step-by-step how to change over to electronic fuel injection with them, using a combination of chev parts and a few new parts

that is very comforting to know I don't have a partially meted "piece of crap" under there <grn>

this is great to know! i had no idea about this diagnostic -- cool! i had been really really hoping it was the valve!
i still need to get it running first
however, knowing this -- which is easy enough to do on the lot where it is stuck, it may change my priorities with my planned motor switch with its twin

ouch!
no luck yet, but it is a beautiful day and i'm off to get my chilton manual :-)
thanks budd
rach
Add pictures here
✖

Tres Bien! Et vous? ( and I just ran out of my knowledge of French. VBG)

BTDT for my brother on his 80 D-100 with 4 speed OD trans ( 833). Used a factory two barrel intake ( iron reccommended as the welded aluminums tend to leak) and a carb from a 318. He said it felt like he gained about 20 Hp.

Ya can't beat the /6 for that.

Sounds good. What engine are the parts from? 4.3 V-6??

To get to #5, it would have to drop into the pan, get sucked up by the pump, squeeze through the filter, then either slip past a valve guide (intake) or be thrown off the crank and slip past the rings.

Hey, it's what this "vintage Flatulencer" hangs around this place for, to remember the old stuff. <VBG>

Ok, insert key . . . ;)

In what way?

Yep, but it ran from 76 to about 98 like that. One tough engine!

You're welcome. Gad to help when I can.
Budd
✖
Budd Cochran wrote:

It`s hard to tell because they are all taped up, however the tape is not factory so I am going to tear that part up tomorrow and check that
it seems to be something electrical
I am writing a new thread about the problem and things I have changed
i have a chilton book that was on order that arrived also -- have money to get it tomorrow
rach
Add pictures here
✖
Rachel Easson wrote:

hey guys, i really appreciate your help -- i have enough to check on now, that i have renewed hope i will get this thing running without paying a fortune at a garage
i was beginning to despair because i just paid for a freezer (that i badly will need for rabbits) and a washing machine to replace the leaker for $70 cdn but need a truck to pick them up. however, i just realised that if i am still working on the dodge, i can take my old rusted 77 gmc van out illegally once more (chuckle) but ought to put some mirrors on it first ;-)
Add pictures here
✖