Comments requested on '99 2500 Cummins 4x4

I found a nice '99 Dodge 2500 Cummins powered, automatic trans. 4x4 Quad Cab with some useful aftermarket stuff (airbag rear assist springs, pre/post
oiler, multi type bed mount hitch, 105 gal. in bed fuel tank) with 120K miles for sale. I remember hearing some bad stories about the Dodge automatic transmissions, but I don't remember when they got them worked out.
My main question is regarding the reliability of the transmission, but any suggestions regarding what to look for or beware of are appreciated.
For what it's worth I have a '99 1500 5.9L 4x4 automatic quad cab that has been very reliable.
Forgot to mention, has anyone had problems with the ultralow sulphur diesel that is now nationwide?

Ed H. wrote:

53 Block info: http://www.cumminsdatabase.com/read.php?id 5
--
Ken

Thanks Ken. I'll check that out.

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 03:24:14 +0000, Ed H. wrote:

Coincidence or not, I don't know, but after 2 tanks of ULSD, the transfer pump leaked like a sieve from the electrical connector on my '99.
It seems that Cummins issued an "Early Warning" about this in '05 (although I was unable to find it on Cummins' site, and the local Cummins shop was not familiar with it). http://www.datastormusers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic ;f=2;t0169;p=0

I have seen some with milage rebuilt. Expect to fork out at least $2000 for a rebuild. It depends on the previous owener also if they took care of the truck.
My 2000 has hit 105k and I am second owner. The first owner put some after market stuff on it that should give me longer life and better performance on mine. The trans in the 1500 and 2500 are not same.
If I am not mistaken Dodge now has an option for a 5 speed Allison now.

Mike

I was going by what a salesman told me. I looked on the lot for one, but could not find

Trent:
Rule #1: Always take what a salesman tells you with a grain of salt. They (sadly) are rarely knowledgeable about the products they sell.
Mike

Sad, but true. When I bought my first and second new trucks (20 and 8 years ago respectively), the salesmen knew a lot about them. Lately I've noticed mostly young guys with little knowledge trying to charm me into a truck rather than sell me on one.

Thanks to all who responded. I checked it out this afternoon and decided it's not what I want.