convert 2X4 to 4X4

"The Kid", my 23 year old, has an only slightly nutty idea. (Gets it from his mother - VBG) He got a '97 1500 Dodge ram four wheel drive pickup that
has been wrecked. It's exactly like his daily driver two wheel drive pickup.
He wants to borrow my wheels to get to work while he changes out the front and rear axles, adds the transfer case etc. My question, is there some huge hidden gotchas here? Specifically, are there any differences in the frame that will have to be fabricated?
He's got the wrecked one right in front of the house, chopping it up. Plans are to cut up the old unit this weekend, then start the modification next weekend. If his girlfriend doesn't have another idea, that is.
--
<()> An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK.

Lining everything up properly will be the biggest most important challenge.
message

Hmmmm... think back to when you were 23. Nothing is nutty.<G>

Figure on your wheels being gone for more than a month.
Alignment of everything could be the hardest part
Roy
Better make sure the new front axle has the same gear ratio as the existing rear axle. I've seen this done before and its a big pain. Not imposible, but still a pain. The front suspension will be the worst of it. Good luck.
The truck is two wheel drive.
I've typically called a two wheel drive truck a 4x2 - four wheels on the vehicle and two driven. I've never seen it referred to as 2x2. I would think a 2x2 would be one of those old Rokon motorcycles with both wheels driven. ;)
Peter www.MachinedThings.com

Yes Peter, you are right. In my despair from this purchase going so wrong -- I am not seeing straight. Thanks for the correction.