Converting NV4500 to NV5600

Page 1 of 2
How about a dicussion about converting a 2500 QC, 360, NV4500 manual over to a 6 speed NV5600. I've heard the driveshaft lengths are different, and the flywheel. I'm considering going this route since
I'll be adding the ProCharger and a few other items in the not too distant future. So, let the knowledge roll....
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

Closer gear ratio basically. That and the 5600 is stronger than the 4500. The 4500 weighs almost the same as the 5600...only difference being thicker shafts, extra gears and such. They are housed in the same casing and use the same bell housing so it's not as big of a deal as you may think. Neither of these trannies are fast shifters. Only difference is the 5600 is a six speed whereas the 4500 is a 5 speed. So...it will indeed add value when coupled to the supercharger and other items I'll be installing.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

I coulda sworn the 4500 was an aluminum case, and the 5600 was cast-iron... ??

How? By adding an additional gear between low and 1:1, that you'll probably just skip over anyway? I agree here - I don't see the benefits at all... you're not going to put out enough power from a 360 to break the NV4500... those trannies ran just fine behind some pretty beefed-up Cummins engines, putting out way more torque than you could ever hope to muster with the 360, and the only real problem was with the 5th gear nut backing off, due to high torque at low RPMs vibrating the nut loose - another problem you won't have with a 360.
No, the 4500 is cast iron as well. I won't be skipping gears all the time. Believe it or not, there comes a time when some, like myself can benefit from the additional gearing...like maybe plowing snow. It's a big jump from 1st to 2nd on the 4500. Also, the larger clutch will benefit on the plowing and with heavy loads.
I actually started this to see what sort of "input" people had as to being able to make it happen....not as a request for nay-sayers to shoot it down because "they" don't think it's worth it.
That being said, please lets limit the input to positive only on this thread and if you want to post negatives...start a different thread as a courtesy to me and others that may be interested in possibly doing the same conversion. TIA.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

plowing?
Roy
Closer gearing between 1st and 2nd is the biggest reason. Also, I feel the clutch on the 5600 (13") will be better suited and will give me more miles. I also will be starting to pull some pretty heavy loads as well.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

With regards to the casing they are the same. If you follow the thread down from the beginning, you'll see the differences stated.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

And by "Rearloader" I meant "Endloader" gearbox.
Hhmm....good info I guess. But please explain what you mean by endloader. It is my understanding that the differences are basically in the bell housing, larger shafts and longer overall assembly which will necessitate changing the lengths of the driveshafts.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

That's what I thought you meant. The shifter comes out in the same location on both trannies....that's the main point with regards to ability to fit. Doesn't matter to me how it is disassembled...that'd happen when it's out of the body anyway. The input shaft and output shaft are in the same location as well so it should just be a matter of modifications to a few parts to fit. From info that has been sent to me so far, I may just need an adapter plate for the bell housing and modify the lengths of the driveshafts.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

Exactly.
No...no ignorance. Just in your misunderstanding of what my plans are.

No one said anything about putting internals from a 56 into a 45. I think you again misunderstood.

That's exactly what my plans are.
--
Laszlo Almasi

I have both. A 92 W250 and an 04 2500. Both are 4X4's. The NV4500 shifts much easier than the 5600. Driving the 04 empty is a chore with the six speed. The ratio splits are much better suited to pulling a heavy load. Can't imagine how slow it would shift if the engine was capable of pulling 5,000 RPM. It's the 3-4 shift that's wide with the 4500. IMHO, they would be well off coming up with a decent automatic.
In the 04 I find myself wanting to use 2, 4, and 6th. The owner's manual says not to skip gears. Is this because they think we'll torture the synchros? Or, is there another reason? Ironically, I never feel the need to skip shift the 92. I view it as a HD three speed with overdrive and granny low.
Al
Hhmm...maybe I need to find a 6 speed here and take it for a spin.
--
Laszlo Almasi