cooling drain vs. flush vs. chemical flush???

I was assuming a "cooling system flush" was always a chemical flush, where you flush it out with a special cleaner? The shops around here
all generally charge around $100 for a "flush", but when I asked the shop that i chose to use (a shell station) if it's chem. flush he said no, that's about $20 more ($120). He said which one you want... I said i don't know which one i need. I told him it's been around 4 years since the the last drain/replace....then he quickly looked inside (opened the cap for 1 second) and said your'e fine, just get regular flush. so i did that. What's your opinion on this? Is a non-chem flush really any different than a drain and replace? (He said yes, because it drains it from the engine block as well as from the radiator???). thanks.

where the water is drained from? Maybe I'm wrong but a flush ya open everything.
Roy

Mac

WTF!!! Color me stupid! <BFG>
Roy

I looked in my om and it was around 100,000 before it mentioned coolant change. Did I miss something??
Roy
mac wrote:

One of the purposes of a flush is to get out rust, scale, debris, etc that tends to build up over the years. The other purpose is to replace the antifreeze that gets old and doesn't work as well anymore. A drain and replace or non-chem flush will (theoretically) remove the old fluid and replace with new. And just that. A chemical flush first places a cleaner in the system, then it's run for a while dissolve and mobilize the crud so it can be removed. then a flush and replace is done. Helps to prevent athersclerosis in the system I do a chemical flush and fill every 2 years or so.
--
.boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.
.boB wrote:

Mac, the difference is that your shop (at $100) better be providing service with a coolant replacement machine -- we'll say it's 9/10 effective versus about 1/2 for a $35 drain and fill. And for clarification -- agitating a cleaner should be used to treat a long-neglected system where corrosion has been allowed to take place, as opposed to prevent trouble (the coolant's job). If you're trying to get something back to square one, then maybe it's worth looking into. Otherwise, think of the millions of drivers who never do a thing outside a 3-10K oil change -- maybe replacing their radiators a little sooner than you -- and spend your money where you will.
Jon
Oops, a minute too late. Good research.