Cost to haul a load

Hello all,
I am fairly new to deisel pickups. I bought a 2001 3/4 ton turbo deisel 4x4.
Does anyone know the average cost (gallons of fuel) per ton? I probably
average 18 miles/gallon running with a minimal load. What would be the mileage if I have a ton of hay in the bed of my truck?

Hey Dan,
Welcome to the life of diesels. Since so much of your mileage depends on how heavy your foot is into the pedal and speeds and terrain, the best way to figure what you want is to go borrow a ton and drive around for awhile.
FMB (North Mexico)

And don't forget wind resistance! Stack them bales of hay up high, and it will be different then if they are all in a line behind you!
Thanks for the replies FMB and Peter.
I regularly travel from Phoenix to I40&US191. The hay currently cost about $10/bale in Gallup and I found some in Phoenix for $7/bale. Since I travel from one place to another, I was considering hauling the hay from down here to save money.
When I am traveling light, I take the highways to get north. If I will be traveling heavy, I take the interstates and when possible, set the cruise control to the speed limit. I will need to keep wind resistance in mind when I have the truck loaded.

I often drive a Hummer, which has about the same wind resistance as a bunch of bales of hay! I can tell you the difference in fuel economy between 55 and 60 is very noticeable, and between 55 and 65 it is almost unbelievable. Hay is a PITA, it is big, boxy, and relatively light in weight. I guess the main question is 'how much hay' and whether you can put it into an enclosed trailer, for example, or keep it below the roof height of the truck?

difference what the load is...
My neighbor has an 01 ford 3/4 and gets about 20 mpg on the road when empty... He used to pull a 6,000 pound RV and got 12 MPG.. He pulls a 13,000 pound 5th wheel now and his mileage went down to 11 MPG..
OTOH, our 99 ram with 5.9 gasser gets 14 on the highway, 7 or 8 mpg towing our 5,000 pound trailer..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Driving habits are a major factor in mileage. I have a '06 RAM CTD 4x4. Today I towed a 10,000 toy hauler from central Utah to Phoenix (540 miles) with an average 14MPG. I kept the cruise control at 65MPH. Towing a U-Haul 12 foot enclosed trailer from Idaho to Phoenix, I got 19 MPG at 65MPH.
The bigger the size of the load,