Could someone help?????

The "heads" on my '99 Ram 1500 V6 are blown and would cost $1200 to rebuild the engine. But my dad wants to buy the part online so he can hire someone cheaper to do it. So where can I find the "heads" for my truck? He says the gaskets are OK, just the heads are blown. He wasn't more specific about it.

And is it possible the heads were blown because the truck was driven with a broken water pump? It was driven approximately 100 miles with water constantly poured in to the radiator. I wanted it towed but.... someone who's very headstrong wouldn't listen.

This truck has been a nightmare since I bought it only several months ago. Broken steering pump ($300), broken water pump ($150), now the blown engine. Is this normal with these trucks, especially with only

60k miles? I mean would it be worth it to fix these only to face other headaches in the near future?
Reply to
Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!

More than likely yes. I would not have driven it with a broken water pump. You let your dad tell you how to control your property?

No, not normal. I had a truck like you had. I got 90k miles on it before I wrecked it 2 years ago. Not a single leak anywhere on the engine, not even oil seepage from the seals. I had put synthetic oils in is and replaced all consumable items with top quality (brakes, spark plugs, wire sets, etc) and it helped it to run better and I even dogged that engine. I did not like it too much because it was lacking in power, even with 5 speed.

The truck is old enough to have those engines in some junk yards I am sure. Mine went to the scrap yard. Maybe get some placement heads from a junk yard and trade the truck in for a cummins.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Considering how the engine has been abused I would just put in a remanufactured engine complete with the heads. It's only takes a day or so to swap it out.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

BAIT: No dad would drive a truck with a broken water pump....

Reply to
MoParMaN

Bad power steering pump, fine, it happens. Bad water pump, shit happens too, but the blown engine is operator error, not the fault of the truck! As one other poster stated, I question if the engine is shot too. running it for 100 with a bad water pump could have hurt the engine block/pistons too. Slapping on a set of heads may very well be a waste of money.

Next time you have an obvious problem such as a bad water pump, radiator leak, what ever, do yourself a favor and shut off the truck ASAP! Not a mile later, not 100 miles later, NOW! As for parts online, I have had good service from these guys.

Greg O

======== ========

lol

~:~ marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Ehh...what ya expect from a Democrat Greg? LOL

Reply to
aka-SBM

You don't ever, EVER change a head and without using a new gasket.

To paraphrase Robert Duvall from 'Days of Thunder'... "you see when that little needle on the water temp gauge goes and reads 270°F? That's BAD".

You can pour all the water you want into the radiator... without it being circulated throughout the engine, no cooling happens... reference above.

When operated stupidly (and I'm sorry - but knowing driving an engine with no cooling system is stupid)... absolutely.

I'd look into alternate means of transportation... bus tickets require almost no thought.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

TROLL!!!

Reply to