Cracked Dash, Again !!!!

I got my Quad Cab new in 1999. New Years day 2004 I come out and find my dash cracked. Had dash replaced. Now my dash is cracked again (Jan 2007) in about the same place. Any ideas on what can be causing the dash to crack ?

Reply to
Richard Folkman

juanalong

My '99 has a cracked dashboard too. It cracked enough that a large piece fell out right above the instrument panel. Standing outside of the truck looking through the windshield into the hole, I can see that the instrument panel support is also cracked near the heater control panel. I suspect the cracked support is the cause of the dash-top problems. I also have a crack above the glove-box. I haven't looked at the dash supports under that area so I'm not sure if there is anything wrong there. I looked into getting a dashtop cover from Geno's garage but I haven't done it yet. If you decide to get one, let me know how it goes. See:

your dashboard isn't black do a search for "interior paint" on Geno's website.

Reply to
Nosey

Use STP Son of a Gun (not Armorall) as it peventate vinyl and keeps it soft prevents cracking. I decovered the qualities of Son or a Gun

25 year ago when I had a few boats. I tried Armourall and the next day ot two it looked like I had done nothing to them out is sune and spray. With Son or a Gun it lasted a LOT longer and never had a crack either. I have a vinyl dash in a SUV 18 years old that still looks like new with no cracks. When you apply it is can soak in dry vinyl so apply a couple of coats over a few days until it keeps its luster when vinyl is restored to proper chemical "moisture" level.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

It seems like people who have cracked dashes almost always seem to have put some sort of "preservative" on the dash, probably starting some kind of process that causes the cracks. I haven't had a cracked dash since I stopped using armorall, STP, etc, on my dashes. Before that, every one cracked within 4 years.

Now all I use is a damp rag, and it still looks new, 4 years later.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Your 2003 has a different dashboard. The only "preservative" that I put on my '99's dashboard was a reflective sun-blocker propped up behind the windshield in the summer.

Reply to
Nosey

Likewise. Damp rag...2001 2500 QC and looks brand new almost.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

OK I give up, what does peventate mean?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Snojob makes things up as he goes.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

What? In English please.

Reply to
Bob M

Armor All, STP Sun of a gun, etc, liquids meant to preserve plastics.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Do you park outside? Do you have a security system, outdoor lighting, a gun, or a dog? Do you leave the truck unlocked? ;^)

Reply to
Nosey

Richard,

I have an '01 Quad 4x4 and my dash cracked pretty bad also...I left it that way until last year when I found a place called Coverlay Manufactur> I got my Quad Cab new in 1999. New Years day 2004 I come out and find my

Reply to
cjc1200

Well, Fidel castro has been one for a couple decades, but only on his own island.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No you do becaue you only how to attack things you do not understand. If you want to make a big deal and act like a child about a mispelling of preventative, knock yourself out. Anything to make you feel better about yourself.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Never stopped you from opening yup about the V10 knock sensor did it? Now, why don't ya explain your answer.

Reply to
Roy

I just correct your errors so the unsuspecting don't go off track. (as do quite a few others)

Do you mean preventive? (one "t", no "a")

There is non so ignorant as those who refuse to learn...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Go to the head of the class! Preventive, NOT preventative!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Hey Mike (and others) how about this one.

PMCS

Reply to
azwiley1

Sorry, guys. From the American Heritage Dictionary: pre·ven·ta·tive adj. /& n/. Variant of preventive.

-adjective serving to protect or hinder: /preventive measures/.

-noun a preventive agent or measure

Exactly what SnoMan meant by it in the original message, I'm not sure. But it is a valid word (after the spelling correction).

Reply to
Nosey