Creaking noise, 2001 Dakota

I've posted about this before; I had the dealer do the tsb that resets the steering wheel, but the sound is still there.

I've a 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4.

There's a creaking noise when I turn the steering wheel (seems worse left), or when I go over a bumpy road. Seems to be in the front end somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

It doesn't seem to be anything horribly dangerous - we just got back from a 3,000 mile journey across the Australian Outback and the Great Ocean Road, through a variety of climates from really-hot-and-dry to raining-and-cool (we experienced temperatures ranging from about

52f-104f), and nothing fell off the truck.

Still worried something might though . It could be old truck syndrome, but I want to make sure.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (2/6/2008 6:47 AM):

I forgot. Doubt if it's related, but I'll throw this in too, just in case: Although the truck has plenty of power, it isn't accelerating like it should. Once it gets going it's fine, but it takes more time than it used to to accelerate through the gears. Another case of Old Truck Syndrome? Takes me longer to get going too, these days.

That acceleration is dearly needed when passing road trains (18-wheelers with three and sometimes 3.5 trailers).

Road Train piccies (scroll to the bottom for the longest):

jmc

Reply to
jmc

control arm bushings - most likely upper. Both mine needed them replaced. made squeeking noisewhen turning and going over bumps.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

jodi, that link hold for a couple of seconds then goes into a ad.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (2/6/2008 10:23 AM):

Didn't for me, but then I use Firefox with NoScript. Sorry 'bout that.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Abby.Normal exclaimed (2/6/2008 8:57 AM):

Ok. A quick google suggests that for my truck, I can't easily get the bushings alone, I'd have to replace the control arms too? True? Is this a major job? Expensive?

If this is the problem, should I do it now, or can I wait the 4+ months till I get back to the US, and can get it done there (cheaper)?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Give - Straight Talk Suspension - a call in Blacktown, Sydney. Phone number (02) 98318825 This guy is pretty hot on all types of vehicals, in my experience with him he doesn't BS..

Pannawonica ..

Reply to
Pannawonica

I don't know about the 4x4 but the 2x4 parts are Moog.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

Suddenly, without warning, Pannawonica exclaimed (2/7/2008 8:38 AM):

Sydney's at least a thousand miles from here. Probably more like 1500. Don't think I'm gonna take the truck that far to be worked on :)

But thanks for the recommendation tho.

Hey, I heard they're sellin' Daks and Rams in Australia now! D'ya know anything about that? The local truck guys are all excited.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

They have been on sale for a few years .. Alot of guy's were importing them and having the steering altered because you blokes over there drive on the wrong side of the road(joke) .. I was thinking of doing the same, - wouldn't mind a Ram - ..

Pannawonica ..

Reply to
Pannawonica