Cummins idle time

Page 1 of 2
2006 quad cab 3500 w/Cummins
I recently started having problems with apparent missing, low power and fuel mileage. I took the truck back to the dealer to resolve the
problem, as I only have 2,500 miles on it.
The response from the dealer appeared very vague and left me uncomfortable. When I went to pick up the truck I made sure I found the service manager to get a better explanation of the problem. I could tell from talking to him it was a problem that was frusterating to him also.
The report I get is that I let the truck idle too much. With some recent design changes (in the last year or so), the Cummins trucks apparently shouldn't be left to idle much. It was reported to me an acceptable idle was about 20% of running time, where-as my truck showed about 33% idle time while running. Apparently, idling to much seems to gum up the injector system. Cummins won't warranty the problem. The solution, according to the dealer, is a fuel system cleaning, or flush, or what-ever. The service guy let me know that Cummins didn't consider it their problem, so the dealer's were having to eat the cost of the fuel system cleaning, to the tune of $250. The guy told me this was the third late model Cummins diesel to come in in a month with the same problem. According to him, Cummins was aware of the problem, was working on a solution, but was being vague in acknowledging the problem as to not accept responsibility.
I mentioned to the guy that I thought diesels were generally used in situations where long idle times were normal, and, that the owner's manual encourages owners to let the engines idle in order to properly coold the turbo. I mentioned that in town driving involved lot's of idle times. He said Cummins response to that was that if that's the type of driving one does, you should buy a gas vehicle.
Anyone have any opinion, or input? I like my Cummins/Dodge, but it's looking like after 2,500 miles, I might have picked the wrong vehicle.
sazrac
sazrac wrote:

installed a compustar remote start system and it idles for about 20-40 mins before i drive it and then for 2-5 mins too cool the turbo ..... it has a built in high idler that kicks in after a little while of idling . Also I work on the Drilling Rigs And their is times a service hand will come out with a cummins and stay a day or two and the truck will idle the whole time...I always ask if they have any problems with their trucks and they all reply NO... Thats just what I have seen up here..... I have always wondered about idling these trucks for a long time .... hopefully some one here knows more about it. Sorry about my spelling/typing I don't care much for typing on a computer :)

First of all, tell your service manager he's full of shit. Cummins doesn't warranty the engine AT ALL... Daimler Chrysler buys the engines from Cummins with no warranty (cheaper that way), and they assume all warranty responsibilities. This crap of, "Oh, well, Cummins won't warranty it" is nothing more than the service version of the salesman's, "my manager won't go for that deal" ploy.

Well, if that's what it costs to keep the engine performing as you expected it to when you bought the truck, then they're just going to have to eat that cost. Drive that point home to them. You purchased a vehicle from them, and you're operating it as any normal and reasonable person would. It's not your problem that they can't make a fuel system to deal with normal consumer use of a vehicle.

Yes - see above. Get a little more assertive (not rude, but assertive). Start talking about buy-backs, lemon law proceedings, etc. Secondly - ask them how any kind of gunk that builds up on an injector during period of (relatively) low pressure can sustain over 23,000psi when operating at full speed? Also, if it's a clogging problem, ask why it's only affecting one injector... you've got a faulty injector, and for whatever reason, they're trying to come up with reasons so they don't have to replace it.
You bought a truck from them with a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine. You should expect them to honor that and fix the problem - not give you made-up reasons why "the manufacturer" won't let them fix it.
i have had diesels for a long time and it wont hurt it to idle. on the farm our tractors idle for long periods my gm diesel pickup the same thing also the dumptruck with a 350 big cam cummins i drive idles for long periods on the job sight if that is the bullshit the service wrighter is saying you need to go somewhere else to have work done the only thing that has happoned to my stuff is it loads up a little but the first time i step down on it they clean them selves out. now the 250.00 bucks how did they clean the injectors did they pull them out or did they just put inj. cleaner in your fuel tank and take it out for a ride

already have it. IIrc you can bring the idle up to 1,200 rpm with the cruise control buttons,

Only if it's automatic.
Al

Huh? Plenty of stick shifts have cruse crontrol.

but a stick shift doesnt give the computer the required "in park" signal. thats why the high idle with cruise buttons only works on a stick.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

With all the toy's they come up with a sensor when the parking brake was applied shouldn't be a big deal.
Roy

Roy

I tried to have it done to my truck. Auto only:(
Al

Not doubting you at all Al. I really wasn't aware that it couldn't been done a standard. Seems a bit odd, I'm sure they could come up with a way to safeguard it.
Roy

Big Al wrote:

Al, I just came across this at the Cummins QuickServe website:
Clutch Switch Kit for the Dodge Ram Warm Up Faster With Less Idling.
When you need to warm up your engine, you can warm up faster with our Clutch Switch Kit. Designed for 2005 and newer Dodge Ram Turbo Diesels equipped with manual transmissions, the Clutch Switch Kit uses your cruise control button to provide the extra rpm you need. At the touch of a finger, you can increase idle speed up to 1500 rpm. This way, you can warm up your engine much faster with less idling and be ready to roll when you need to. It's Even Better With A Jacobs Exhaust Brake.
In a Dodge Ram equipped with a Jacobs Exhaust Brake, the Clutch Switch Kit performs even better, with even faster warm-up times. Once your exhaust brake is installed and turned on, the maximum engine speed during idle warm-up will be limited to 1350 rpm, but the idle warm-up capabilities will be significantly increased.
It's Easy To Operate.
Operating the Clutch Switch Kit on Dodge Rams with manual transmissions is easy. As with standard models, the warm-up feature is deactivated when the clutch pedal is depressed. Before putting the transmission into gear and driving, the driver must make sure that the feature has been deactivated and the engine has returned to normal idle speed. A quick glance at the rpm gauge is all that is required.
Supports Anti-Idling Regulation.
If you reside in an area that has idling regulations, you will appreciate the fact that your cab will reach warm-up temperature with less idling.
Every Benefit.
Faster warm-up with less idling Easy to install by dealer Easy to operate Integrated with cruise control on steering wheel Interfaces directly with Electronic Control Module (ECM) Automatically deactivated when clutch pedal is depressed Designed for simplicity and reliability Does not affect engine warranty Designed specifically for the Dodge Ram equipped with manual transmission
So why wait any longer? Ask for Cummins part number 408985100 (Mopar No. 05175417AA). This kit contains all the necessary components for installation.*
Warm up fast with our Clutch Switch Kit for Dodge Ram pickups. Every Time. For details, phone 1-800-DIESELS.
Jacobs Exhaust Brake is a registered trademark of Jacobs Vehicle Systems.
* Dodge dealer's electronic service tool is required to activate the Clutch Switch Kit. Bulletin: 4081625
--
Ken

Ask and you will recieve.<G>
Roy

I also found a thread on the DTR forum on how to build your own fast idle system for the 2nd gen diesel Rams. http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t 3156
--
Ken

That's cool. I wish ya would find a way to make my nav system take me around NYC instead of through it.<BG>
Roy

Roy wrote:

I too use the old analog nav system. I don't know much about yours. There isn't any way to add stops along the way?
--
Ken

Nope, I called Alpine they make them for DC. Miles has a revised disc, he say's he will take a look at his and let me know. But it don't look good.
Roy

stuck to the windshield.
--
-Chris

sticking mine on the dash. But it piss's me off that they stick this thing on 99% of the srt's and they are so friggin' limited and ya pay a few bucks for them as well.. I'm hoping for a fix so that it works like I think it should. My oldest is on me to sell the Garmin to him but I'm not sure the factory one can be changed with the updated disc. Waitin' on Miles or sombody with a answer.
Roy