Cummins idle time

2006 quad cab 3500 w/Cummins

I recently started having problems with apparent missing, low power and fuel mileage. I took the truck back to the dealer to resolve the problem, as I only have 2,500 miles on it.

The response from the dealer appeared very vague and left me uncomfortable. When I went to pick up the truck I made sure I found the service manager to get a better explanation of the problem. I could tell from talking to him it was a problem that was frusterating to him also.

The report I get is that I let the truck idle too much. With some recent design changes (in the last year or so), the Cummins trucks apparently shouldn't be left to idle much. It was reported to me an acceptable idle was about 20% of running time, where-as my truck showed about 33% idle time while running. Apparently, idling to much seems to gum up the injector system. Cummins won't warranty the problem. The solution, according to the dealer, is a fuel system cleaning, or flush, or what-ever. The service guy let me know that Cummins didn't consider it their problem, so the dealer's were having to eat the cost of the fuel system cleaning, to the tune of $250. The guy told me this was the third late model Cummins diesel to come in in a month with the same problem. According to him, Cummins was aware of the problem, was working on a solution, but was being vague in acknowledging the problem as to not accept responsibility.

I mentioned to the guy that I thought diesels were generally used in situations where long idle times were normal, and, that the owner's manual encourages owners to let the engines idle in order to properly coold the turbo. I mentioned that in town driving involved lot's of idle times. He said Cummins response to that was that if that's the type of driving one does, you should buy a gas vehicle.

Anyone have any opinion, or input? I like my Cummins/Dodge, but it's looking like after 2,500 miles, I might have picked the wrong vehicle.

sazrac

Reply to
sazrac

I also have a 2006 Cummins, I live here in Alberta,CA and I have installed a compustar remote start system and it idles for about 20-40 mins before i drive it and then for 2-5 mins too cool the turbo ..... it has a built in high idler that kicks in after a little while of idling . Also I work on the Drilling Rigs And their is times a service hand will come out with a cummins and stay a day or two and the truck will idle the whole time...I always ask if they have any problems with their trucks and they all reply NO... Thats just what I have seen up here..... I have always wondered about idling these trucks for a long time .... hopefully some one here knows more about it. Sorry about my spelling/typing I don't care much for typing on a computer :)

Reply to
Brian

First of all, tell your service manager he's full of shit. Cummins doesn't warranty the engine AT ALL... Daimler Chrysler buys the engines from Cummins with no warranty (cheaper that way), and they assume all warranty responsibilities. This crap of, "Oh, well, Cummins won't warranty it" is nothing more than the service version of the salesman's, "my manager won't go for that deal" ploy.

Well, if that's what it costs to keep the engine performing as you expected it to when you bought the truck, then they're just going to have to eat that cost. Drive that point home to them. You purchased a vehicle from them, and you're operating it as any normal and reasonable person would. It's not your problem that they can't make a fuel system to deal with normal consumer use of a vehicle.

Yes - see above. Get a little more assertive (not rude, but assertive). Start talking about buy-backs, lemon law proceedings, etc. Secondly - ask them how any kind of gunk that builds up on an injector during period of (relatively) low pressure can sustain over 23,000psi when operating at full speed? Also, if it's a clogging problem, ask why it's only affecting one injector... you've got a faulty injector, and for whatever reason, they're trying to come up with reasons so they don't have to replace it.

You bought a truck from them with a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine. You should expect them to honor that and fix the problem - not give you made-up reasons why "the manufacturer" won't let them fix it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

As was mentioned, there is a high idle flash that can be done if you don't already have it. IIrc you can bring the idle up to 1,200 rpm with the cruise control buttons,

Reply to
Roy

Only if it's automatic.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

i have had diesels for a long time and it wont hurt it to idle. on the farm our tractors idle for long periods my gm diesel pickup the same thing also the dumptruck with a 350 big cam cummins i drive idles for long periods on the job sight if that is the bullshit the service wrighter is saying you need to go somewhere else to have work done the only thing that has happoned to my stuff is it loads up a little but the first time i step down on it they clean them selves out. now the 250.00 bucks how did they clean the injectors did they pull them out or did they just put inj. cleaner in your fuel tank and take it out for a ride

Reply to
rick505

Huh? Plenty of stick shifts have cruse crontrol.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I wasn't aware of that.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

but a stick shift doesnt give the computer the required "in park" signal. thats why the high idle with cruise buttons only works on a stick.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

With all the toy's they come up with a sensor when the parking brake was applied shouldn't be a big deal.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I tried to have it done to my truck. Auto only:(

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Not doubting you at all Al. I really wasn't aware that it couldn't been done a standard. Seems a bit odd, I'm sure they could come up with a way to safeguard it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Missed that. Enlighten me, please.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

On my 05 they added a flash that allowed me to start the truck, hit cruise and use the up down buttons to advance the idle. I think it went up to

1,200RPM(maybe higher, I forget). As I'm sure you know on cold day's letting it idle, it warms up then cools itself right off. With the higher idle it maintains operating temp.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I think I recall seeing on the Cummins website that you shouldn't idle for any longer than 15 minutes. Wish I could find it again but for some reason it is sticking in my head.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

My bad...this is where I saw it:

Carolina Watercraft Works

Sorry if I'm being thick here: By "they", you mean the dealership? If so, I will call and see if this is an option for my 2004. Was it free? (you can always depend on a college student to ask that question).

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Yup, that's why at the higher idle operating temp is maintained. Normal idle it will cool off. Roy

Reply to
Roy

The dealership, there was no charge. Check a list of tsb's and see if the 04 is included.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Check on any recent recalls...