cummins oil drain plug

It's time to change the oil on my new (to me) '97 2500. I crawl underneath and see the oil drain plug has a 3/8 rachet square hole opening. I put my rachet in the hole and .....nothing.
No amount of reasonable effort in a normal counter-clockwise rotation will loosen it. I'm having visions (nightmares) of a stripped out plug. Does this plug really loosen in a counterclockwise direction (while facing the plug) or it it reverse thread? How tight should this plug be torqued in?????
Any help really appreciated.
JustinW wrote:

I have a 2000 CTD and yes it is counter clockwise just like a regular oil drain. I tighten mine snug ,then half a turn.
JustinW wrote:

I have a 2000 CTD and yes it is counter clockwise just like a regular oil drain. I tighten mine snug ,then half a turn.

The torque spec. on the plug is 44ft.lbs. Hit the ratchet with a rubber mallet (in a counter-clockwise direction - standard threads). It'll come loose.
"Tom Lawrence" wrote:

...and watch out for the rebounding mallet, or use a dead-blow hammer and it won't bounce back at ya. Bryan
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:56:03 -0700, Bryan wrote:

You're not gonna believe this - I bent the handle of an el-cheapo rachet trying to get that plug off. Finally went and bought a quality 3/8 breaker bar and used a 3 foot cheater bar slid over the handle.
It came off easily and revealed there was no rubber washer. I got my fingers crossed, so far it looks like no damage occured from the idiot "mechanic" who changed the oil last......
Get a new plug, your current one will likely crack soon. Geno's garage sells a good one.
JustinW wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:53:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I picked one up from my auto parts store for $6 the day I changed the oil. I really can't believe the pan threads are still intact. The Cummins is one tough engine to put up with this kind of abuse.