Cummins severly smoking

I have a 2002 Dodge ram 3500. It has alittle over 100K miles. About a week ago it started to smoke severly. Its a greyish colored smoke. No overheating is ocuring. Truck still runs fine. It started after I changed the oil. I used Rotella 15/40 which the book said to use. Can anyone help?

Reply to
dodgeguyinla

RamMan

I agree with the previous poster, over filling could be a problem. Too much oil may be getting kicked up onto the cylinder walls by the crankshaft. Too much oil could be overloading the oil wiper ring.

If the oil level is good, watch the oil level. If you're burning oil, your oil lever will start dropping. If there's no change, then assume it's fuel related.

Are you sure you put in the right oil? If it's a lighter weight oil, can it be getting past the rings?

John I can't imagine that a cummins with only 100,000 miles on it will have work rings or valve guides.

Reply to
John