cummins water temp?

Got a '96 2500 with 12 valve Cummins. The water temp gauge was slowly walking back and forth between 0 to 190 degrees F. I took it to the shop - they said it needed a new sender. Got it replaced.
Now, the temp does not walk up and down - it reaches a steady state at about the 10 o'clock position and stays there. The 12 o'clock position is 190 degrees F.
I'm told diesels are cold natured, but shouldn't this engine be regulated to 190 degrees F thru the thermostat? Normal air temps right now are in the 90's....

The temperature wandering is a well known anomaly, Cummins makes a redesigned thermostat to correct the situation. The Cummins P/N is 3934373, the Mopar P/N is 05014568AA
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:28:39 -0700, John Kunkel wrote:

Thanks very much.