Cummons Out The Door

Page 1 of 2
I was watching a motor show and they said more than likely Dodge will be dropping the Cummins engine from the dodge truck line in favor of a Mercedes
diesel sometime around 2010 after the Cummins contract expires.
Coast
"Coasty" <uscg_ret at comcast dot net> wrote in message

--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply
MoParMaN wrote:

Mercedes makes a great diesel but Cummins has been a huge draw for Dodge sales.
I would agree, and with the reliability record and power of the Cummins I think leaving them would be a mistake.
--
----------------------------
-Chris
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 02:14:32 +0000, MoParMaN wrote:

I've had one diesel Mercedes and have done most maintenance for another. I will never buy another Mercedes product. Maybe they were different in the "old" days, but the way their products are built simply leaves me scratching my head.
Is there a "283 chevy" equilvalent make and model in diesels? Something made to repaired and maintained by the owner??

That would be a Cummins B5.9 :)
Coasty wrote:

I herd a few years ago that they were dropping Cummins. They said Mercedes diesel would replace it, but i also herd that CAT was developing a diesel for the dodge. If CAT diesel would replace them I think Dodge would sell pretty good.
Scott

It really doesn't make any sense to me why DC would drop Cummins for CAT instead of just using their own engines unless CAT is offering one hell of a deal that even Mercedes can't beat. Cummins has already proven itself in the RAM and while I can see a significant cost savings dropping a Mercedes diesel in it after the contract expires, I really don't see how CAT could beat Cummins price by enough to risk the loss in sales by switching away from Cummins.

I'm not so sure that there would be much of a risk. CAT make on hell of an engine. It equals Cummins in my experience.
Roy

The risk is not in the quality of the engine but in the buyers perception. Unless you are into big rigs or industrial equipment, you are not going to know much about CAT. I am also unaware of CAT currently building anything that could be dropped into a small pickup and if I am unaware of it, there is a good bet that many others are also unaware as well. This leads to people assuming that CAT will need to build a new motor and deal with all of the fun that happens with that, IOW, loss of sales. Cummins has been in Dodge trucks for a while now and have built up a reputation as building a rock solid small truck motor that will easily outlast the rest of the truck and in many cases is the reason why people bought the Dodge at all.

---Snip---

The 360 in my 92 is going to outlast the rest of the truck. Is that a reflection of a good engine or a crappy truck? The 318 in my 90 D150 is going to outlast the rest of the truck too:) Hope my 04 is built better than the older trucks.
Al
92 W250 360, 5 speed, 4X4 04 2500, 600 CTD, six speed, 4X4
Seriously, Has nobody here heard of the 6.7L Cummins released for the '07 cab & chassis dodges?
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/06ntea /
http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/pdf/4103902.pdf
I can almost see a 2007.5 model. I drive a 1998.5 funny.

I heard that Cummins was bought out by either Ford or GM- I cant remember which.
FORD has never owned a part or whole of Cummings check the Cummings website you will find that in one of the FAQ sections.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Okay Chris, repeat after me. My truck is CUMMINS powered!<VBG>
Roy

LOL ok roy looks like your new job is to correct my typos that spell check misses.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Thats a good job for that crotchity old fart!! Maybe he can get his new "best friend" to give him a hand...
Denny

Pure BS.
Roy

LOL
--
-Chris
"Coasty" <uscg_ret at comcast dot net> wrote in message

i heard the same thing. when daimler chrysler drops the cummins in arrogance, my money says we'll see chrysler sales plummet faster than in the 80s. i didnt buy a dodge.....i bought a cummins. if ford ends up with the cummins, ill end up with that king ranch f350 ive been wanting.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com