Dakota 2001 pickup

I am trouble starting my Dakota truck. It will start in the morning first try. Then when I drive it and try to start it again it will take 2 or 3 tries. The mechanic said I would have to replace the fuel
filter which is $600. Others have said it couldn't be that because when I am driving it is fine. I would appreciate any help.Thank you!
The next time you do this, turn the key to the run position (not all the way to start) let it sit for a few seconds, then back to off and then try and start it.