Dakota automatic transmission whine

I have a 01 Dakota R/T with about 36k miles on it. During the weekend the transmission started making an abnormal whine at low speed. It sounds like a
steering pump going out or an import car in reverse. It is an intermittent problem and usually happens after the engine has been off for a few hours and starts again. It happens in Drive and in 1st , 2nd but not in reverse and I can't hear it in 3rd or any thing higher because of road noise. The transmission fluid level is fine and the rear dif lube seems to be fine also. It's defiantly not the power steering pump.
Any ideas? It runs and drives and shifts just fine other then the noise at low speeds every once in a while. But the noise is quite loud and noticeable...
Thanks, -Aaron