Dakota Diesel?

Has anybody heard if Dodge is considering putting a diesel in a Dakota? I love my 97 5.2V8 but would like the same truck in 4 door with a diesel. Any other manufacturers bringing a mid-size diesel truck here?

Reply to
Electrician

God, I hope not.

Reply to
TBone

I've been waiting also. a diesel in that caliper..whats taking so long for the Dakota..

Reply to
Scott S.

I heard a year or two ago that VW was planning on introducing a diesel Toureg (or however it's spelled) when the new nationwide low sulfer diesel fuel standard is in effect. But then it's only an SUV.

Reply to
Ed

Doesn't VW already have a V10 diesel in the Toureg? But as far as a diesel Dakota, if it gets 30mpg and has 400 lb/ft of torque, yes go for it!!! That would be an ideal combination.

"Ed" a écrit dans le message de news: s9e3g.2456$E41.1730@trnddc03...

Reply to
Marc

Ok, why not?

Reply to
Max Dodge

im with you. why not a diesel in the dakota. heck they already have a small diesel in use that, although i havent looked close at the numbers i would bet would be a good match. what's that 4cyl in the liberty putting out anyways? im betting it would be plenty strong.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

ive gotta ask the same as max here..... why not a diesel?

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

For one simple answer, they stink. The fuel stinks and so does the exhaust. It is bad enough when I get stuck behind them as infrequently as I do. It would really suck if their numbers increased dramatically in the form of mid-sized pickups for people trying to compensate for something. The funny thing is that if it does happen, the rapid increase in demand will cause the cost of diesel to climb so high that it would be cheaper to drive Toms V10 than your Cummins and I feel sorry for anyone who heats their homes with the stuff after that.

Reply to
TBone

You probably aren't aware of the new low sulfur diesel fuel standards that take effect this fall. Europe has had it for years and it eliminates much of the 'odor' problem. As far as trying to 'compensate' for something, some of us actually use our trucks to haul and tow stuff. Unlike you city weenies who drive them for show. A high torque diesel in the Dakota would be ideal.

Reply to
Electrician

I've hoped since the merger that they'd put a Mercedes TD in the durango/dakota..

We take out 01 dakota on the road and get 20 mpg if we're lucky.. folks with 3/4 and 1 ton pickups can do that with the cummins and powersmoke.. I've had several friends over the years with Mercedes 300td sedans... a fairly big car that gets over 25 mpg in almost any road conditions... A dakota might get close 30 mpg and go a lot longer without required maintenance..

Mac

mac davis

even the city weenies as you put it could benefit from the diesel as they use less fuel at idle and generally better fuel economy than the gasoline counter parts.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Reply to
RICHARD

By the time you finished stuffing a diesel into a dak with all the extra beef to the frame and susp I wonder how much capacity would be left over for towing or hauling.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Reply to
RICHARD

Good point. I don't think the ISB would fit because of it's length anyway so it would have to be a smaller diesel. Other manufacturers are doing just that in other countries. I don't understand why they won't market more small trucks and SUVs in the US with diesel engines. I suppose the Liberty is a start...

Interesting article from down under:

Nosey

witch is exactly my point ken. it doesnt have to be the monsterously powerful Cummins ISB for a truck that size. volvo had a 5 cyl diesel in a station wagon for one example. but im sure since that time the size/power output (smaller packages/higher output) of the small diesels have advanced just as the ISB, Power Stroke, ect has. i wonder why something the size of the 4cyl in the liberty crd wouldnt work in the dakota. heck they rate the crd at 5000 trailer wieght, quite beefy for a vehicle its size.

and further they put the 318/360 in the dakota/durango frame not sure how much it weighs but a small 4cyl diesel would wiegh how much more? if any? i keep referring to the 4cyl in the liberty simply because it is one already in use by DC. im sure there are other options avail to them if they just wanted to check into such options.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Wrong and wrong.

When fueling, gasoline, particularly the high octane blends, frequently out stink the diesel fuel I'm standing next to while filling my truck. Odor while driving is non existant. I can't smell my truck's exhaust unless I stand directly next to the tailpipe, and the air is relatively still.

What we're typically compensating for is a high fuel bill and the need to keep moving the loads we do. As such, a diesel is far more efficient. Even just driving an unloaded truck, diesels typically get better MPG than a gasoline truck driven in similar, if not exactly, the same way. In essence, diesels do the same job or more that that of a gasser, using less fuel. Wouldn't that be somehting you WANT, given your tendency to rant about our dependancy on foreign oil?

Actually, right now I'm paying 5-20 cents less a gallon than my gasoline burning counterparts. I also have the option of biodiesel, with far fewer drawbacks than the ethanol mix you will be forced to used fairly shortly. Another flaw to your assertion that it would be cheaper to drive a V10? well, that gasoline gets hauled in on.... diesel powered trucks.

There is obviously a lot more to why diesel works so well, but I doubt you'd believe it.

Its been great reading your comments again. I see they are factless and inane as always, so I'll let you get the last word.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Yes, you are but we are used to it.

As usual, you just don't get it. I am not refering to the smell inside the truck, I am refering to the smell outside of the truck that I will have to deal with if I get stuck behind one. As for the smell of the fuel, if you spill any of it, it stinks for days while gas evaporates quickly and the smell is gone so I guess you were wronng and wrong.

Once again, you speak without thinking. We are talking about a Dakota here, not a full sized P/U. How much more do you really think it will be able to haul? How about nothing more and probably less due to the weight of the engine.

If you really think that everybody who buys one does it for hauling, then you really are dummer than dirt.

While true, the average person would be hard pressed to save enough money on fuel to pay for the added cost of that engine and with increased demand, you get increased prices and that low sulfur requirement will drive the price up even further.

If people really wanted to save fuel, there are many better ways to do it. That is just a justification and a lame one at that.

Of course, everything is always better in Maxworld. The point Maxi, is that the demand for diesel is still rather low compared to that of gas but if that changes, the price of diesel will skyrocket, just like it does EVERY winter when the demand goes up and IIRC, that low sulfer stuff costs more to make.

Once again, it is a valid option because the demand is low. If it increases, the days of free supplies will quickly vanish.

And your point is???? Oh that's right, you don't have one. Your diesel is also hauled in on those very same trucks so the price increase in delivery will be added onto the price of diesel as well, increasing it even further.

I didn't say that diesel engines were a bad idea and if they can kill the smell that they dump out I say go for it but the price WILL be much higher than it is now and nothing you have said so far indicates anything different.

Reply to
TBone

It doesn't matter. Take a Volkswagon Jetta, for example. The 2.5L gasoline engine delivers around 30MPG highway. The 1.9L TDI gets almost 50MPG highway.

Which would you rather pay the fuel bill for?

Back to the VW: GLS TDI MSRP of $20,740. The 2.5L model? Base price of $20,390. $350 difference... at $3.00/gal, well... you're good at math.

I must live there, too... (actually, I'm in the suburbs of Maxworld, as I'm only saving about 7 cents over mid-grade gasoline)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence