Dakota Diesel

Page 2 of 3
SnoMan wrote:

Is Detyriot where you buy the crack you smoke?
JS

No but it likely is yours. true emissons is grams or lbs per mile, not PPM because in a turbo diesel you can delute the PPM in exhaust while still dumping a lot of polutants volume wise but if you knew this you would not have made your "crack". Gas engine would run a lot better today if they had been allowed to skirt around most emission requirement like diesel have in the past. It will be a more level playing field starting in 2008 and it will get stricter every year for diesels until they basically catch up with gassers. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
SnoMan wrote:

The "new" diesels will start coming with catalytic converters, which will do a lot of scrubbing against the NOx? Thats the biggest reason why sulfur is being eliminated - so you can actually use an effective cat.
Now, if Cummins/Chrysler was just smart enough to start extracting the waste heat in the exhaust system to do something productive... BMW has managed to extract another 20-30% from exhaust heat alone.
You do realize you can run a diesel on a lot more than just a diesel, right? Spray some hairspray, propane, or whatever else in a diesel's intake sometime and see what you get. Avoid 'cleaner' products as they'll wipe the lubrication right off the cylinder walls.
JS

While they will start using CAT's in 08, diesels make so much NOx that they cannot controll it with CAT's alone. They are experamenting with different methods of capturing or converting NOx and one of those methods include ammonia injection in exhaust manifolds.(either from a cartridge that you must change regularly or have a seperate tank for it that you refill from time to time) If you read and researched more before you commented you would know what a serious problem NOx reduction in a diesel presents for Detriot. They are not happy that their loop hole is being closed. And it get "better" yet, California has set CO2 limits on vehicle emission that start taking effect in about 2009 which REALLY has Detriot worried and shakey in their boots. They are fighting it vigorously in court (they will not win though as legal advisors have stated from the beginning) and being that 1 out of every 5 vehicles made is sold in California, it is just a question of time before it becomes federal too. When that happens it will do what high gas prices have not been able to do yet, kill big SUV sales completely because they will have to start building them smaller and lighter so less CO2 is produced by their operation because in the scope of things, CO2 is a pollutant too that is over due regulation as well. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Interesting...my '98 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins has a factory CAT. It seems they've been putting CATs on those trucks for around 10 years now.
--
Rich

Cats went on the Dodges January 1, 1994 and came off Januay 1, 1998 when the 24 valve Cummins was introduced. That's when we got resonators some mistake for cats.
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:01:18 GMT, "CyberSurfer"

Guess again, it does not have a CAT. It is a thermo reactor meant to limit suspended particulates but many call them CATs by mistake. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Do the '04.5 and newer Cummins 5.9L's come with cats today?

Roy

Guess again, it is still a thermo reactor because the sulpher in diesel fuel will kill a CAT (this is the reason they removed it from gas long ago) THe reason it smell different today is because of improvement in injection and the amout of sulpher being reduded for EPA mandate to require true CATS to be installed on diesels starting with 08 models. Many mistakingly call them CAT's. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Whatever ya want to call it ya can't remove it. Reduced sulfur? Would it smell different if I used red diesel?

So that "many" would include the manufacturer, because they refer to them as catalytic converters in all of their documentation.

Well, Sno says they're not cats, so he's right and everyone else is wrong...
Had he said that starting in '07 (of course, he's convinced the new diesel emissions regs kick in starting in '08... whatever), diesels will be using THREE-WAY cat-cons, instead of the two-way cat's that have been used in the past - he'd almost sound like he knows what he's talking about.
Ah well... what do we know. We still think 8.0" and 8.25" are distinct and unique measurements. Sno says they're the same. Go figure...
LOL I know.... and I tried to bite my tongue.
--
----------------------------
-Chris
SnoMan wrote:
<drivel snipped>
Got any other comments, troll boy?
The only "Mistake" here would be listening to your BULLSHIT. Geez...why do I bother?
--
Rich

"SnoMan" < snipped-for-privacy@snoman.com> wrote in message
It seems like dodge could put the 2.7 mercedes diesel in the dakota without much trouble.there would obviously have to be a good sized market for that in order for them to do it.maybe gas prices being what they are people may opt for the more efficient diesel.another option would seem to be the 4 cylinder version of the cummins b (i believe it is a 3.9) that is used in bread and snack trucks and the like.
says...

says...

Putting a diesel in an American half ton would be a disaster. The full fuel infrastructure simply isn't there as many of the gas stations don't sell it and the ones that do usually only have it at one pump or island. This would cause long lines. The massive increase in demand would also cause a significant increase in fuel costs, especially during the winter where it would also cause a significant increase in the cost of home heating fuel. Another problem is the torque created by a diesel can be pushed way above what the drive train of most 1/2 ton trucks can handle which would either force them to heavier duty components in or deal with a lot of pissed off customers when they refuse to do warranty work due to owner modifications. Either way, the bottom line would be a significant loss of profits that they are unwilling to deal with at this time.

TBone wrote:
<drivel snipped>
Got anything else to say, troll boy?
wrote in message

Gee, you delete the entire post so nobody has a clue as to what you are talking about and then call me a troll??? Get a life fuckwad!