Dakota R/T question:

I have searched the internet and cant figure this out. Last week I bought a 2002 Dakota Sport 4x4 off autotrader.com. It was listed as an R/T but has the 3.9 v6 with manual 5 peed.
I figured the R/T was a mistake as its a v6. Bought the truck anyway as its a beautiful truck with low miles for eight grand. The insurance company as well as car fax also lists this as an R/T when I run the vin code,but I thought the R/T was designated for the v8 trucks? What is this? Thoughts apprecaited. Truck has no visible R/T badges.

First off, I would check the vin number on the registration or title to that of the vehicle and make sure that they match. Something tells me that what you have is not what the title belongs to. Here is a link that describes the RT http://www.dodgedakotart.com/v1 /
You might even find a message board on that site that will allow you to question people that own and know a lot about these specific vehicles.

By definition, all legitimate '02 R/Ts have a 5.9 (360ci), automatic, and 2WD. If your truck is different, it's not an R/T. Better check the VIN on the dash against the title.

there also should be a vin on the frame rail. if the vin on the frame doesnt match that of the title and dash...............
well lets just say, some questions need to be asked.
i dont recall exactly but i think there's a few other spots that a vin is "hidden" so that you could compare them with the rest of the truck. maybe Mike would be kind enough to chime in and tell where all the common locations are.
--
Chris

Couple links that might help: http://www.dakota-truck.net/VIN/vin.html http://faq.dakota-truck.net /
Just checked the VIN code through the provided link and all checks out with the title and dash vin (they match) and the site does not call it an R/T. Also shows the correct 3.9 engine. Strange that my insurance company as well as Carfax come up as an R/T. Thanks for the help! Puts my mind at ease.

I would not stay at ease too long. Where did you buy the truck and was it sold to you as an RT? If not, no big deal then but if it was, the RT is worth considerably more money and you probably paid too much. I would also check with your insurance company and see if the RT costs more to insure than the standard version with the policy that you have. If so, I would get on their case to fix the problem on their end. Actually, I would get on their case either way so that if you do have an accident with that vehicle, you don't go through hell afterwards when they say that your truck is not an RT and that is what is insured by them and that winds up delaying your payment.

The Dakota was purchased at Twin Pines in Ephrata Pa. My insurance is only 300.00 per year as I registered it as a pleasure vehicle. Will talk to them to make sure they know its not an R/T. Thanks for all the info!
Also,is the 3.9 v6 considered a "Magnum" engine?
Yep!
< snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 06:12:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net ( ) wrote:

I agree with T... something smells crooked with the truck/paperwork..
Could even be a salvaged/flood damaged truck with another trucks VIN??
The R/T not only had the V-8, it had the 5.9L/360, while the other V-8 Dakotas had the 5.2L/318...
Also, I'm guessing that the insurance for an R/T is gonna be higher than a "sport" with a V-6, but insurance companies have always been big on charging by the name id it's to their benefit.. I remember trying to explain that my "sport fury" was a big ol' lead sled, not a sports car.. *sigh*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
( ) wrote:

When I bought my 2001 3500 I apparently fouled up the VIN when I reported it to the insurance company. They kept calling it a BR2500 and I tried to correct them and they told me they went by the VIN, sure enough, I'd misread a character.
You had a Sport Fury? What year?

Damn... going back to the late 60's is a strain on the senior memory..
I think my fury convertible was a 57 or 58 but I can't remember... I remember paying $400 for it, though because it was 2 friggin' paychecks..
Also had dodge with big, ugly fins and it also had the push button gear selection, so they sort of blur together..