dammit, NOW what?

So, had to go out in the snow because our goldarn heater's going out - it's 56 in the computer room. Roads are snowy and slick so 4Hi.
When the clutch is depressed or when I'm moving at an even speed,
everything's fine.
When I ease off the gas, there's this horrible clunking or tapping noise. Never heard anything like it before.
Except... I've been noticing the last couple of days a small odd sound in 2WD when I'm coasting as well...
Darn it. This sounds like something major, even though aside from the sound, everything's normal. What could it be?
jmc

Your radio is not turned up load enough.
beekeep

Most likely a u-joint
Mike
Check all the u-joints, and the carrier bearing if equipped.
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 05:19:15 -0800 (PST), JohnB

Agreed, all the classic symptoms! Don't forget the front axle ones, too...
Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (1/31/2010 8:33 AM):

How many U-joints are there? The sound appears to be coming from the front of the truck.
jmc

No, that's my joint!
beekeep

Technically, a "her" joint.... ;^)
Mike

If it was your's, you'd probably smoke it and not pass it around. <G>
Suddenly, without warning, Mike Simmons exclaimed (1/31/2010 6:12 AM):

Darn. And I doubt it's as easy to replace as the U-joint on my 1976 Chevette was (did that one myself). Any idea how much it'll cost to fix?
jmc

They are fairly easy. An average price for a u-joint is $9.00 - $15.00 at a parts store.
Mike
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:50:45 -0500, jmc

If you have the tools, and do it yourself, about $25 or so. I did mine on the 2500 a couple of months ago. Requires a press to get the old one out, however, and a big vice to hold the drive shaft.
If you pay someone figure probably $50 for a pair on a drive shaft? (I'd replace both if possible as if one failed, the other is probably almost gone too...)
If this is a solid axle 2500/3500 there are two ujoints (one at each hub) that can (and do) fail. Mine went at about 25K miles. Same deal, not terribly expensive but a PITA to get at.

Seems like you have your answer.
But as a aside, It is probably the CCC fairy punishing your for not making them for Denny and I.<G>
Roy
Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (1/31/2010 2:24 PM):

You didn't get them? Darn, sent the packages last week, really I did!
jmc
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (1/30/2010 7:22 PM):

Well, yup, it is something major. Transfer case needs to be completely rebuilt, driveshaft also needs to be replaced, and some peripheral bits will need to be replaced 'cause they're so rusted they'll break when removed.
He said the differential is fine - the transfer case was, well, transferring the noise to the diff.
::sigh:: Probably around $2400.
Chris says he's sort of surprised the truck was driving as well as it was. Expensive fix, almost what the truck is worth probably, but still a lot cheaper than buying a new one...
jmc