Damn dodge alternator

I had to replace mine today. It only lasted for 14 years / 281,000 miles. The bearings still felt good. I think the brushes went. They don't build them like
they used to. 8>)
beekeep

Write a letter to DC, they should be held accountable!
FMB
yea it should have lasted at least 600K
--
-Chris

Notice the brand name? Nippondenso; fine Japanese company, noted for reliable products. ("they make such bloody fine cameras")
Properly still looked brand new too!!!

;^)
Mike
Do they still sell rebuild kits for alternators?

"Xclimation" queried:

I b'lieve you can still find brushes, bearings, etc. at most parts stores though, I usually just go to a rebuilder directly. Of course, a new set of brushes riding on worn slip rings (or commutator) is not unlike putting new shoes/pads on old drums/rotors -- it works *much better* if you turn the drum/rotor. If you don't have a lathe for that (and the slip rings or commutator isn't too gawdawful), chucking it up in a drill press (on low speed) and using a flat file on it works fairly well. Just keep the fingers clear of the rotating assembly!
Bryan