damn dogs! (front drive vacuum hoses)

i FINALLY had someone coming to buy my '01.5 cummins 4x4 quad cab

and he brought cash. we got in it to take a test drive and the 4x4 light kept blinking. scared of buying a lemon, the buyer walked. :-(

i get the truck back home and start looking and found that my damn dogs (5 month old austrailian shepherd breeder pair)had chewed up the black and red vacuum hoses that engage the front drive, see

for the picture. any idea what im looking at here? how much for the OEM replacement hoses? can i just buy the hoses? any reason why generic hose from an autoparts store wouldnt work? what is the exact name of this part? im beginning to think that fate is trying to tell me not to sell this truck! thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

proper sized hose from NAPA, etc will work

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I'm not laughing, Nate... really... I'm not.... :)

Probably more than they're worth.

None whatsoever. Nothing special about them at all - just your basic vacuum hoses. The only thing is if you have enough left on the connector end to splice onto. Let me rummage around my garage tomorrow - I _MIGHT_ still have the stock vacuum lines from my 2500 (converted it to a mechanical linkage for 4x4) kicking around.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

thanks, ill probably go that route.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

heh. three weeks ago they dug up my phone line and chewed it in half. last week they chewed the phone line in half again where it goes into the house from the terminal box. now this. |:(

oh SWEET! let me know something, save me a trip to the local NAPA.

tell me more with as many details as possible about this conversion? id like to do the same thing if i end up keeping the truck.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
Greg

Suddenly, without warning, Nathan W. Collier exclaimed (5/22/2005 5:06 AM):

Sounds like your dogs are seriously bored. That's the problem with smart dogs - if there's nothing to do, they invent stuff. Usually destructive. Are you going to train them for something? If not, you might consider it - herding, or maybe agility.

I wonder if leaving some hoses out for them to chew will keep them away from the "working" ones...

I'm not a dog expert, but I've seen this sort of activity before, with border collies...

jmc

Reply to
jmc

we used to have a Dalmation / horse that loved to chew

I finalyy started leaving pieces of heater hose outside for him, he loved it

Reply to
TranSurgeon

agreed. trouble is they seem to prefer wires and hoses to the chew toys we buy. :-(

we bought them as family pets, but will be training them to hunt cats when the season opens.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Well, look what I found...

Shoot me your mailing address in an e-mail, and I'll get this on it's way to you Monday.

Pretty simple - Whitey's 4x4 Posi-Lok. It replaces the vacuum motor on the CAD with a cable-actuated shifter. You mount the cable/handle inside the cab, and you can control when the front axle is locked. The really nice benefit is it allows you to engage the transfer case's low range, but leave the front axle unlocked, giving you 2WD-low (great for backing up trailers, because you can make sharp turns on hard pavement, since the front axle isn't engaged). It runs about $200, and takes about 30 minutes to install.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Had an Aussie once that liked to *herd* cats...also small children and the neighbors guineas...

Cricket

Reply to
<ccole

nathan -just measure the o/d of the plastic "chewed hose and slip rubber vacuim hose over them as a splice

rt

Reply to
mightyyall

Suddenly, without warning, snipped-for-privacy@quixnet.net exclaimed (5/22/2005 9:09 PM):

Yea, I've known both aussies and border collies that'll heard anything that moves. But I bet the cats are a real challenge!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

awesome, i _really_ appreciate it tom!

a brief search and i was able to come up with this:

doesnt look to bad, i think ill order one (should i end up keeping the '01).

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

just to be clear, im not talking kitty-cats here. :-)

montana is full of these bastards and i plan on thinning the litter. :-) running them with dogs makes the hunt extremely successful.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Is that even legal to hunt them?

Reply to
TBone

absolutely. montana is a sportsmans paradise.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

boy, this weekend did suck for trying to sell vehicles....

I was trying to sell my car, it runs fine, but when first buyer comes to look at it....... click,click,click

dead battery

throw the battery charger on it, and the first guy that came to look sunday pulled out the cash, and drove off happy.

anyone got a cheap Dodge truck to sell in SW arkansas........ time for another truck in my life

Reply to
markansas859

hmm... he thought it had gone to the dogs, huh?

Any "quality" vacuum hose should work..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to