Dark brake fluid

My 98 Ram 1500 5.9L has some dark brake fluid at 92,000 miles. When is a good time to change the brake fluid (since I'm the second owner, it may have been done already, but who knows?)? Thanks, Phil

Reply to
Phil Rhodes

Every two years.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I flush mine yearly, I think most people don't even bother.

Reply to
krenelka

Every two years is the recommended interval and I believe that was started by chrysler. But most dealerships will look at you funny when you ask them to do it (and yes, you can do it yourself but it is a hassle, especially with 4 wheel ABS). A buddy of mine took a 96 Ford Probe he bought used to the dealer to have them flush the system and they told him it didn't have to be done. He politely informed them it was recommended by Ford right in his owners manual. Needless to say he never went back there.

-Todd

Reply to
Todd

It's no different with or without ABS... unless you let the resevoir run dry. First, siphon the fluid from the resevoir, and re-fill with fresh fluid. Open up the right rear bleeder, and expel 1/4 of the total fluid into a catch can. Re-fill the resevoir, and do the same to the left rear. I do this with a hand-held vacuum pump, so it's a one-person operation. Since I do it along with a tire rotation, and the wheels are already off, the entire job takes about 15 minutes.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence