dead tach

Hi folks - the tach went dead on my 93 Dakota the other day. Noticed it when I started the truck one morning. It's pegged down on the left side. Any idea what caused this? Could it be a broken wire or cable? If not,
do I need to replace the entire cluster or can I just replace the tach itself? Thanks - Chris