Detroit TrueTrac in a Ram 1500

I posted last summer about a limited slip rear to replace the stock open rear. I received a few suggestions, including going with an Auburn, but not
sure with the cone design, etc.
Just to followup, I went with a Dertroit TrueTrac, since they finally came out with a version for the Ram 1500 9.5" rear. I was waiting since July when originally told it would be released, but they pushed it up until late Sept.
I must say this rear is awesome! I just drove it around during a recent snowstorm in the Philly area figuring this would be the real test. I even kept it out of 4x4 for awhile just to see how the diff performed. In 16 inches of snow, I was driving thru unplowed streets and even tried it on a deep snow covered field. It locks when you need it and it's very quiet. Didn't slip once, even while going uphill.
Please don't think this is a sales pitch. I have NO affiliations with Detroit Locker or Eaton (who just bought Tractech Holdings, Inc., the owners of the Detroit diffs). I just wanted to share my experience with this awesome diff, and if you're looking at a new streetable diff and not worry about clutches, check this one out first. It's a true mechanical limited slip with NO clutches, all gears. Got to hand it to the guys who developed it.
http://www.detroitlocker.com/DT.htm
Ace
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile. Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations.
The only thing in life is change. Anything more is a blackhole consuming unnecessary energy. ==========================
Aceman wrote:

I agree. I just put one in my Cobra. 500+hp, 2400#. I had a Ford LSD, now have the TruTrack. Huge improvement. No more push out of the corners, feels much better, more solid. Can't wait to hit the track next month.
--
.boB
On Order: 2006 FXDI, Red.

I'll bet it will perform flawlessly!
Ace
I'm confused. I do not understand why the detroit locker would perform better than the garden variety limited slip diff. designed for the truck under normal street, low traction conditions. In fact, my experience with limited slip axles indicate that a 25% axle handles the best. More than that forces the axle into live axle mode on ice and when that happens, the vehicle fishtails continuously over about 30 miles per hour. I can understand the locker having more controllable traction under racing conditions on an asphalt circle track with sticky tires and the correct stagger, but not with ice on the street. Please enlighten me. Steve

was comparing the performance to an open differential, not a limited slip. I think he would have been pleased wish either. The only time I would see a locker performing better would be on a surface with great traction. Greg
Steve Lusardi wrote:

Ermmm... I believe that the TrueTrac IS a limited slip differential, of the "Torsen" variety, meaning that it uses helical gears instead of friction plates...
Stelios
Stelios, Now I'm really confused. All of these axles use Hypoid gears for the ring and pinion and all axles that I have seen use 4 spur gears to drive the axles. For the life of me I cannot see that a change to helical for either of these gear set applications could create a limited slip function without some form of differential resistance clutches. Nor can I see any advantage to even the use of a helical gear set in this application. Please explain yourself. Steve

Check this out: http://www.detroitlocker.com /
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,