deuce and a half

I was just reading aarcuda's comments in another thread, and the "deuce and a half" came to mind. Also, the Jeep.
I Googled up the old deuce and a half. WOW, a whopping 104 horsepower!
And IIRC, the early forties Jeeps were 60 hp.
You can do a lot with gearing and engineering, but, sometimes, there just ain't no substitute for power.
Ah, the good old days. You'd always get there. Eventually.
Steve
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:08:04 -0700, "Steve B"

Long, long ago when I was in the serivce I had a freind that had a 51 Dodge military truck that looked like a Jeep on steriods. It had a flat head straight six of about 60 HP or so. It was no speedster on the road and did not like to go much above 40 but it was a tank off road and unstoppable. We took that thing places that you could never get with a lot of other vehciles regardless of HP and it even had a engine drive winch so you could wench yourself up a hillside to slick to climb and never worry about battery or winch overheating. What power it had was smooth and predictable and that is what got the job done. It might have taken us a but longer on some hills but we ALWAYS got there and sometimes that is more important than how fast you might get there otherwise. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

When I was a teenager, my friend's dad would take us deer hunting. There would be six of us. He had a Dodge Power Wagon, and it was a pickup, an early sixties model. I believe it was a PW. Just a straight six engine, 55 mph top speed. But, he did some ungodly things with that truck.
We'd get out and walk and climb and watch him because none of us had the guts to ride with him. Plus, you'd get slammed around pretty good inside the cab (no seat belts) and in the bed when he went rock hopping or log jumping. Those old trucks were pretty amazing with the small engines and proper gearing. Stick shift, too, which always makes 4 wheeling more interesting.
Steve
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:13:13 -0700, "Steve B"

Yes back when trucks were trucks. You would destroy a modern 4x4 doing what you could do with some of those old beasts and never think twice about it. Back when the bodies had thick sheet metal and sturdy frames, axle, trannies, tcases and engines and real bumpers befitting a truck that you could make a trail if need be by mowing down brush and smaller saplings and not worry about tearing up your truck even when you drug your frame on rocks, dirt or logs. 4wheelers today do not really know what a real 4x4 once was. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Hey snow fraud!
I'm still waiting for a retraction.

What that you are a Troll, never happen! BTW, I realy do not care what you think and I do not dance on your string either (and that bugs the living "S" out of you too!) Others see you for what you are too. Grow up Roy. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

I'm a troll? You are mindless pos. You run around here posting wrong and at time's dangerous stuff for the unexpecting. If it isn't wrong it is friggin' mind numbing.
You truly are a idiot.

snipped-for-privacy@snoman.com says...

What the hell does that mean? No one on this earth could ever translate that to anything sensible.

Stop being a pos troll and answer the damn questions we actually want you to answer or get the fuck out.
----------------------------------- Snojob Follies: SBJ: Dumb brake question http://tinyurl.com/2ya3wo
SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01 http://tinyurl.com/2hth74 -----------------------------------
says...

Hey Beryl, the above links show what you started out defending. Spend some time reading them so you have a good understanding of exactly what cause you took up.
Roy wrote:

Incorrect, Skipper. I've read loads of SnoMan's posts, and this link is the one that shows what I started out defending. http://tinyurl.com/yu3g9h
Anyway! You're ready to pick up where you left off, eh? You just sort of died out there. Here ya' go, http://tinyurl.com/yo98v3
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni

ah, the lead amigo is back with his rapier like wit (that barrell was tongue in cheek). and "skipper"? come on.........thats it?
since you have read "loads" (and a load is exactly what they are) of snotrolls posts, i guess we have to give you a little wiggle room. that could pretty much fuck up anyones mind.
says...

what it is well... I guess it sorta reflects what your all about. I'm just fine with that.
Roy wrote:

That obviously was a setup to get the SnoMan deal going again. Eight minutes later and the next post comes from Skippy, right on cue.

I already pointed it out, Skippy. It's somewhere in the "hole in the bed" thread itself, I gave the link. Why did you jump in there if you didn't intend to accomplish anything?
Do something now, Skippy. Click the link http://tinyurl.com/yo98v3 , read my post again, then try to answer. Heatwave and you didn't plan this just so you'd fizzle out again, did you? That would be pathetic.
C'mon, there are only two issues: SnoMan's "hole in the bed" reply, and whatever you thought I should see in the Ford balljoint thread. You can do it.

You don't seem to be just fine, Skippy.
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni

You are as sad as the Idiot

What is pathetic is defernse of the Idiot. As I said it tells what you are all about.
Dude, give it a rest! It seems most of the group, including myself has moved on.
says...

Ed H. wrote:

WTF!!! This thread is (was) about old trucks. Who started up again with the "Hey Beryl, the above links show what you started out defending" crap?

--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni