Didn't get the factory UConnect? Want it? The factory unit with the mirror controls and microphone is way better than that that "Dodge" after-the-fact UConnect add on

(First of all, I have to mention this disclaimer for anyone thinking I'm up to anything. NO, this is NOT to solicit sales. I went thru 3 months of asking questions and hunting down parts and other headache creating tasks trying to figure this out to get it in my truck So I thought to share it with anyone else that may want to install the actual factory UConnect on their vehicle.Sure it will cost money, but what doesn't these days?? If you want it, you will pay for it... This cost me about $700.00 including 2.0 hours installation time at a dealer at $100/hr, including the Starscan (which only took 5 minutes.)

I finally got the factory UConnect unit in my 06 Power Wagon yesterday. It's awesome!

However, the factory unit may or may not be easy to put in, depending on your vehicle.

Little background on harnesses from what I learned in the past 3 months: It appears that Dodge complicates things with their wiring harness design. Rams with clearance lights and no UConnect have a completely different harness than with UConnect and the clearance lights. There are more combinations, of course, which lead me to find out there are numerous iterations of all the harnesses used in all DC vehicles, depending on ordered options. I would imagine that DC did this to save on costs on the harnesses, so saving $1.50 on harness parts per vehicle, if not required on a vehicle, multiplied over whatever amount of cars produced in a year that doesn't have a particular option, I guess would amount add up, even though all DC dashes electronics share part numbers. So it sux for figuring out what you need for a replacement. Plus they would need to inventory or continue producing 20 + (whatever the number is) different harnesses. If there was only one harness used, imagine the possibility of adding any factory option you didn't originally get at production. But NOPE, Dodge did NOT make it that simple... Oh well.

If it's easy to put in or not would depend on YOUR current harness. You may need an additional harness. Requiring or not requiring an additional harness depends on your vehicle and whether it has the mirror harness jack in teh A-Pillar and how many pins are in it. If less than 11 pins connected to live wires, you'll need the LX Jet Harness.

If you need the harness, you'll just need know how to get into the headliner, A Pillar, under the dash, and pull out the radio. Or take it to a dealer for a 2.0 hour job. Also while at the dealer, which you don't have to do and it works without this step, to use the Starscan to setup the new found device on the CAN so the EVIC is aware of it.

If you don't need the harness, the plug that the Telematic unit gets plugged into in the LX cars is behind the glove box. In Rams, I believe the plug is behind and to the left of the radio, but check DCx for the exact placement, or just ask Ted...

If not sure, or want to simplify the whole process, ask Ted what you need. He's also working a universal UConnect harness, if your vehicle requires it, which was originally designed by Jaak as the "LX Jet Harness" for any DC vehicle, whether with or without the rain sensors, mirror dimmers, clearance lights, etc. Ted can put together a package including the Telematic unit, Mirror, along with mirror harness already profesionally spliced into the Jet harness that Jaak created. Whether you need this harness or not, it's pretty much a simple plug and play procedure.

Ted Harris Mopar Super Center, Rick Hendrick Dodge Chrysler Jeep

For more info, how-to's, etc, what everyone else' take on it is, etc, check out these threads. Also check out Jaak's Garage too that has a bunch other factory mods and goodies.

LX UConnect Harness (Jet Harness)

LX Forums: Installing the factory Uconnect in your LX
Dodge Forums: RE: Installing factory uconnect
Jaak's Garage:
snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com/ More goodies at this site, including a reverse cam (not factory), and modifying the Nav radio to allow you to connect your laptop or a portable DVD player:
you

I hope this helps anyone attempting this awesome addition.

Ace

_____________________________

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile

"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

Reply to
Aceman

whats a Uconnect?

Reply to
mpberti

A Bluetooth hands free thing for your cell phone. Cell has to be Bluetooth as well. I finally have a Bluetooth phone and it is pretty cool. Once you give it a list of names and numbers it will dial them by voice command.

Imho it is a super safety improvement.

Reply to
Roy

I dunno, Roy. I went to Jaak's Garage and it was full of "help you to do it yourself" info.

FMB (north mexico)

Reply to
FMB

ahhh don't wast your money my not bluetooth phone has voice command. Plus the NHTSB says hands free devices make no difference. its the talking on the phone and not paying attention to whats going on thats the danger. But the marketing is good

Reply to
mpberti

Odd, some states are trying to make talking on a cell phone illegal. But hands free is okay.

Reply to
Roy

Roy, you are correct. What they are trying to do is get your hands back on the wheel and eyes (hopefully) back on the road, that is why it is becoming illegal in states. What this guy is talking about IIRC is a report that has been put out on the street, that talking on the phone, hands free or otherwise is dangerous and a root cause for a lot of accidents.

Also, since not all cells have built in speakers (well maybe they do) and those that do, the speaker isn't always that good, Bluetooth is a great way to go if you have to use your phone in your vehicle.

Reply to
azwiley1

It would seem so to me. Hell of a lot easier to hit a button on a mirror while in rush hour traffic than to fumble with a phone.

Reply to
Roy

But the studies all seem to say it doesn't matter much whether you're using the phone via hand or via mike/ear.

Something about the human mind being not as focused on its surroundings when speaking electronically versus someone right next to you.

Of course a person right next to the driver has the same, or close to the same situation awareness as the driver so maybe that helps too. I don't think the brain part of why this is so is really understood.

Now food and drink in the car! I think that's one of the major driving distractions according to some of the studies I've heard about, and that seems reasonably true to me.

I think *everyone* has eaten or drunk something while driving at one time or another and it really can be quite distracting.

It's nice having confidence in that big Dodge Ram 4X4 toolin' down the highway while fishing around in a bag for that last chicken Mc'Nugget!

SMH

Reply to
Stephen Harding

That might be true for those that were studied, and I am not going to agrue the facts, however, if we are going to study things like this, why not all the other things that are a distraction/hinderance to driving.

Examples: Putting on make-up Eating/Drinking, like you mentioned The radio Watching video Navigation Systems Changing clothes Laying down Laying on the passenger seat

I personally think/feel that I would rather have someone on a hands free cell call or On-Star system then the little "pants around my ankles" punk ass kid in a 4x4 Dodge laying down behind the steering wheel.

I would say that this is the same affliction that effects those listening to music bouncing around in their seat vice driving.

This is a very good point and could be true as the passenger doesn't likely want to die

Reply to
azwiley1

you know Myth Busters done a thing comparing talking on a cell to being drunk..IRRC talking on a cell was way worse than being drunk according to thier test.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

funny you mention putting on makeup.....

a few years ago when I was working at the dodge dealer. I was driving to work (a 35 min treck) I was passed on the interstate by a girl sitting in the passenger seat putting on her makeup, aside from the fact that she passed me like I was sitting still when I was doing 75, what scared me the most was the fact that she was the ONLY one in the car.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Just caught a blurb on the news. Conn. has been writing ticket's for $100.00 for using a cell phone while driving.

Reply to
Roy

In news:5c265$45d1c35d$471f7647$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET, Chris Thompson stated, which I commented on below:

I wouldn't doubt that, because when drunk, you are at least trying to pay attention, but being on a phone is highly distracting, especially when you have to think about the conversation and don't want to say the wrong thing, especially while talking to your customer, boss, wife, or girlfriend.

Ace

Reply to
Aceman

In news:DuidnRVy2YIEUUzYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Roy stated, which I commented on below:

That's right, Roy, many states are pushing for this. NJ already has it in place, and PA to follow suit, unless they already did.

Also Roy, to address your earlier post, keep in mind, I am not trying to spam you, this or any other group. It is a friendly "How-To" for a factory UConnect that many have tried to put in a vehicle and failed because of DC's complicated wire harness mess.

Also, I don't make one cent out of this. My only satisfaction is that I finally got it working in my own truck and hoped to pass on what I did for others who want the factory UConnect parts to work and not the bullcrap after-the-fact dash mounted unit that Mopar accessories sells.

Ace

Reply to
Aceman

In news:tS3Ah.832$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net, mpberti stated, which I commented on below:

The UConnect has voice command too, whether for the address book or actually dialing a number. Think of it as an extension for your phone while in the truck.

Ace

Reply to
Aceman