Diesel 1/2 ton announced

Page 2 of 3
Chris Thompson wrote:

The reviews of the diesel liberty all suggest its a dog. Considerably less performance than the gasser. Whats the EPA difference between the liberty gasser and the diesel?

epa sticker claims 25/30 witch is pretty close to what she is seeing in real world. the gasser wasn't that good by epa sticker but don't remember exactly. the truck is no dog, runs strong! slight turbo lag on hard accel I mean if your sitting still and just stomp to the floor you will notice it. but if you just pull off normal the lag isn't noticeable.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

My gal drives a VW Jetta TDI (diesel). She says that she gets 45 mpg. The same car with a less powerful gas engine gets 30 mpg ... at best.
My current truck, 2004 Ram 2500, QC, 4x4, CRD (diesel) get's 19 hwy, 16 city.
My prior truck, 2002 Ram 1500, QC, 4x4, 360 cid, got 12 hwy, 10 city, going downhill, with a tailwind and the engine shut off.
Craig C.

Miles:
People have bought stuff they don't "need" for years. A classic example is bottled water. A case can be made however for the economics of a light duty diesel.
Mike
In spite of the lousy performance due to underpowered engines, most COMPACT diesel cars sold well and gave great fuel mileage.
How about a Rampage with a good turbo diesel? Now, for the average guy hopping from yard sale to yard sale, that would be darn near perfect.
The Oldsmobile Diesel V-8, otoh, was just a dumb idea that got worse.
--
Budd Cochran

Budd Cochran wrote:

Is that the one that was not a Diesel design from the ground up but rather a converted gasser? The one that resulted in class-action lawsuits when they failed rather early? Or was that a Ford product?

make it into a diesel. you gotta build any engine from the crank up to work with the fuel you intend to feed it.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

I'm out of the country so I might be off base with this, but my first though was the availability of biofuel for diesels (including the possibility of make-your-own). A biodiesel pump opened up at my parent's usual gas station in June, so I'm guessing there's more opening up here and there. Can't remember if it was cheaper than diesel though...
jmc
Bryan Foust, a past member of the group and gone far to long, was working on homemade biodiesel and the results were looking quite good about the time he left.
--
Budd Cochran

Hmmm.... long-time NG participant.... starts mixing up large quantities of volatile liquids... suddenly doesn't post anymore.
Uh-oh...

City.
--
--Scott Hendryx--

MIANDERSON SAID "also you're totally being suckered on the BC game. FSU

A couple of reasons I see for a 1/2 ton truck with a small diesel is torque and towing capacity, fuel mileage and longevity of the engine. I have a 318 Dakota which is a gas hog. I could see a small diesel in my truck getting double the mileage I currently get.
Electrician wrote:

More than the engine needs to be changed to increase tow capacity in a 1/2 ton. Especially so with the Dakota. I had a Ram 1500 QC 4x4 with the 318. It was way under powered to tow much. The 360 performed much better. The Hemi even better and higher mpg too.
Electrician wrote:

small diesel for years. So far, the EPA has managed to prevent it.
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

GM sold Diesel half ton pickups for years.
Al
If you're meaning the gutless 350 Diesel, it was "Diesel" by name and squirrel cage in power.
One of the dumbest things GM ever did, similar to putting 9" drum brakes on the GTO in 64.
--
Budd Cochran

The 350 was a converted gas engine. It was not the best, but GM did bring us a long way in starting a cold Diesel. The 6.2 was a real Detroit Diesel. And, you could get it in a half ton, van, Suburban or Blazer. Wasn't very powerful, but it started and delivered very good fuel mileage.
Al
And one of DC`s dumbest is putting 9" drum brakes on on a 5.2 Dakota 4x4. Lots of power to get it going but try to stop it with a full load! Which can be MORE carry capacity then ram 1500 with HD package BUT YOU GET REAL brakes with that or 1500. I vote yes for the crd diesel dakota too, the liberty crd is a real stump puller untill its wound up.

You do know that drum brakes have more surface area than disk, right. Pleas tell me how many big rigs use disk brakes.
"RICHARD" < snipped-for-privacy@Tyayhoo.com> wrote in message
Hi TBone,
Friction is independent of area. There's a lot more to disk v drum than just area. Big rigs with drums have a much larger heat dissipation area for relatively long slow stopping.
Dave