Diesel Fuel Prices

Hi All,

I found this article today ... 5/10/2005. According to the article we should have started to see drops in diesel fuel pricing 2 weeks ago. It's the same here in north Dallas. I pay $2.28 and have been for 6-8 weeks. Anyone seeing a change yet?

Craig C.

Reply to
craig

$2.33-$2.48 is the lowest price here in UT. Haven't seen diesel fuel drop at all.

Reply to
Shane

same here in mid GA diesel around 2.25 - 2.33 and gas has taken a slight drop from 2.07 to 2.04

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Diesel (and unleaded regular) is $1.999 here in Tulsa, OK...

Reply to
Clay

man i wish it was under $2 here in GA even if it was just under 2 like in tulsa clay. that extra 5 to 7 cents is eating me up feeding that v10 everyday on the commute to work....thank God the drive isnt any farther than it is!

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Feel Happy, here in the Puget sound we are still at 2.69 to 2.75

Reply to
Rick Scott

"Happy" is never the feeling I get when talking about oil companies, even when prices are low. I wasn't interested in talking about oil company "bend-over-demographics". I was just wondering if anyone had seen a drop in pricing, regardless of their location.

I'm sure there is a "good" reason why diesel is higher in Puget than in Dallas. ;)

Craig C.

Reply to
craig

$2.17 and up in San Antonio. Gas has dropped to $1.99 in a lot of stations, and I saw one dumpy raghead conv. store yesterday at $1.97 Diesel hasn't dropped one cent. It is usually cheaper at the truck stops east of town going towards Houston, but I haven't been out that way in some time. I got a Chevy p/u Diesel and the lockup solenoid in the trans is bad. Haven't gotten around to getting it fixed. but need to pretty soon. It has knocked off about 3+ mpg. Actually I am pretty surprised gas is dropping with Memorial Day coming up. I figured it would hit $3.00 or close, in time for summer vacations. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

$2.60-$2.80 here in SoCal for Diesel

Reply to
Trey

Gas prices will go back up soon enough. They are being lowered (for now) in order to slow the rush to higher mileage vehicles. As for the expected drop in diesel prices, don't count on it being all that great. The oil companies have already made the claim that they simply don't have the refinery capacity to handle demand so they have the perfect excuse to maintain higher prices. Diesel prices tended to drop in the spring due to the reduced need for home heating fuel but with this cold spring and the high price of gas, the resources used for home heating fuel have been needed longer than usual and are now being used to refine gas and keep the prices a little lower in the hopes of keeping Americans out of smaller and more fuel efficient cars.

Reply to
TBone

Please explain exactly how the gas companies control the price in this manner. Nice liberal story but how about some facts to back up your claim that gas companies artificially control prices to slow the rush to higher mileage vehicles. Do oil future investors know about this? Too funny.

Reply to
miles

Paranoia runs rampant with that guy.

Reply to
John Smith

LOL, and failure to see the obvious seems to run rampant with you.

Reply to
TBone

Miles,

I believe you and I have had discussions in the past that were fairly non-productive. Mainly, because you're quick to start labeling. i.e. "liberal ". I hope that won't be the case here. BTW, in acse you forgot ... I'm not a democrat/liberal, although I believe you have accused me of such.

On to the issue at hand:

Price per barrel is down from a few weeks ago ... yes? Demand for diesel is down due to warming weather ... yes? Why then, is the price at the pump remaining constant?

It's awfully coincidental that DC, GM and Ford do NOT have a decent lineup of diesel/alternative energy vehicles to market ... wouldn't you say? Although I doubt TBone can prove his theory, there is no doubt that oil companies and vehicle manufacturers are in bed together. It's self preservation. His theory is not too terribly far fetched, IMO.

I am also interested in knowing why oil companies rake in record profits during times when ppb (NOT demand) is increasing. That makes no sense ... unless they artificially inflating the price in their favor for .

We're all getting bent over by the oil companies without the godamn common courtesy of a reach-around.

;) Craig C.

Reply to
craig

But GM and Toyota are joining forces to share the expense of hydrogen powered vehicles. Hopefully their research will produce a viable option. I know for a fat that I would buy a hydrogen powered vehicle in a heartbeat if the price was right.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

You seem to forget how fast his favorite nemesis whips out the labeling machine.

Generous motors had the EV1, a very heavily subsidized miserable failure. All three have had "dual fuel" vehicles bought almost entirely by government. After a brief "honey moon" with environmentalists Diesel has been denigrated as "filthy". CNG isn't viable on a practical scale, electric isn't viable for anything but commuting, what "alternative" do you expect them to provide us?

Demand is increasing. We don't just import crude, we also import finished gasoline because we don't have sufficient refining capacity. But you forget the supply side of the equation. Remember China? 1.3 billion people in a country moving toward a capitalist system. They'll sell as many new cars there in 2007 as we sold in 1965, in the next several years they're projected to sell more new cars than we do. And then there's India moving in the same direction with more than a billion people. That's a LOT of additional demand and some here think we can "conserve" our way out of this. I believe I've demonstrated the fallacy of that particular "thesis".

That makes

Base language while colorful isn't productive and serves little purpose.

Look at fuel prices on an inflation adjusted basis and it's STILL cheap, even cheaper than in the eighties when we thought it was so high. When fuel price inflation beats my property tax increases, I'll start to worry.

Reply to
John Smith

labeling

;) Nope, I didn't forget ... just chose not to piss two people off at the same time.

That touches on the last thing that Miles and I discussed. Not trying to resurrect it, but the subject matter had to do with the idea that perhaps we WOULD have more alternatives than we do if the issue was pushed by the government rather than drilling for more oil ...

I drive a diesel ... my friends consider me an "environmentalist", although I pale in comparison to most with that title. I think it's a great "alternative", nowadays.

Despite the current stand by our government, I believe that we are starting to see a lot of progress, actually. Hybrids are looking better everyday.

I suspect the curve of demand is much flatter than the curve of pricing. How else do you explain RECORD profits by ExxonMobil the last

3 years? Are you telling me that's ALL demand? If so, I have some ocean front property you may be interested in.

Good point.

Then I assume we both agree that oil is not the answer and neither is drilling for more? Does that make you a "liberal"? ;)

It was a quote from a movie actually. I thought it was rather funny. But then ... I'm a pretty cheery guy.

Ack, property taxes. Don't get me started on that. Single, white male, no children. Talk about getting bent over. Should it give me warm fuzzies to help pay for my neighbors 5 kids to attend school?

Craig C.

Reply to
craig

Obvious that you have no facts to backup your claim. All you have is your warped liberal opinion. Believe what you want but until you show proof then its just your warped liberal mind at work.

Reply to
miles

Don't know about diesel but gas prices on average have dropped about 10 cents the past week according to national surveys. I'll find you a source if needed.

Thats just a paranoid based theory without facts. Car manufactures don't gain by high oil prices. They gain by selling more cars. They don't control what the public demands. I agree, they're slow at responding to demand but their spending for alternative energy is well above that of the Japanese. While the Japanese are building hybrids, the Americans are pouring money into technologies that hopefully will be longer term than the short term stop-gap hybrid approach.

Reply to
miles

Government can't push much. It takes billions of $'s to develop these alternatives. The only place to get that is from the consumer. It has to be consumer driven. The government can do some motivation towards the consumer but in the end, its the consumer who drives industry to produce.

Hybrids are a short term solution. They don't provide the gains needed for long term. I view them as part of the evolution to better solutions but certainly not the end or anywheres close to it.

Reply to
miles