Diesel overheating

I've had a 1999 Dodge Ram Cummins for 5 years now, and have noticed that whenever I pull my 25' camper in temperatures above 93 degrees F. it overheats. Is this a common problem? I bought the Dodge so I can pull my
camper in any temperatures, and obviously the Dodge isn't cutting in. Any recommendations? Chevy, Ford?
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 21:27:15 -0500, D wrote:

is this a recent change?
it may be something as simple as trash stopping up the radiator/inter cooler fins and restricting air flow.
i say stick with a proven engine (Cummins) and stay away from junk (duramax and powerstroke)

Very common problem.

As other have suggested, the problem is not the brand but raditors due plug up internally or exteranlly with age and when this happens it will overheat. Close inspection of cooling system will reveal problem. Worst case senario you need radaitor rodded out or replaced, not a new truck. BTW, this can happen to a gas or diesel truck of any brand with age. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
SnoMan wrote:

It is rather unusual for a 5 year old vehicle to have a clogged radiator. 5 years old is almost new!

No it is going on 9 years old and he has had it 5 years. It is not unusual at all especailly if cooling system has been neglected. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
SnoMan wrote:

Anythings possible with neglect but even a 9 year old vehicle should not have a clogged radiator. The radiators I've had that were clogged were at least 20 or more years old.
Please clarify this request, I'm confused. You have had this truck for 5 years without a cooling system problem and now, after 5 years you are questioning the design/quality of the truck? What have you been doing with the truck for 5 years that would indicate your suspicion now? Steve

Have a 99 CTD myself that I use for pulling my fifth wheel and tandem axle cargo trailer. The engine has never become warm enough to even turn on the engine driven fan ... this up the steepest grades in the Rockies. Have serviced the cooling system regularly though each two years or so. Really curious to hear what the problem is with this one!
Fred

I've had the truck for 5 years, it has always gotten hot whenever I pull my camper in weather above about 93 degrees. I've serviced the radiator twice in the last two years, had it flushed, and have installed 3 new thermostats in the last two years. The engine has 130,000 miles, almost all highway. I've spent a lot of money on that thing lately, new injectors, two new fuel pumps, etc. About $1700 the last two years. I bought a diesel because I thought it would last forever, but it sure seems like it would be cheaper to stay with a gas engine since they don't cost so much to work on. Especially since I can't pull with the diesel anyway.

Have you check the thermostat?
What about the fan itself? May not be working correctly. They have electric fans that replace it. Saves on fuel too.

Yes, but did you clean the exterior of the radiator? Chris pointed out that it gets stopped up and I agreed it was a common problem. You might want to pull the radiator out and clean the fins out. They get trash, oily residue and dirt picked up that must be removed for good airflow.
Install a pyrometer. Since this only happens under a heavy load, maybe you are overfueling the engine. The pyro will help you find out. Too much fuel causes lots of heat that the cooling system can't get rid of. You don't mention what speeds you are going, what gear (Overdrive?), what are the highway conditions, etc.