Diesel prices dropping

Page 1 of 2
Anyone notice that diesel is now twenty cents a gallon cheaper than gasonline?
To wonder how long this will last.
Now who was saying having gasonline engine is cheaper?
So for a while, I am getting cheaper fuel with more energy content. How smug.
GeekBoy wrote:

Your guess is as good as mine. However, I believe that we will see this trend continue.
Although current gasoline demand is three times higher than diesel, the diesel demand is growing at *twice* the rate of gasoline. Refineries are trying to prepare themselves for the future.
The current prices may be a result of increased diesel refining. Here is an article I read in The Chicago Tribune:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0704060318apr07,0,2814321.story?track=rss
Personally, I still prefer bio-diesel. Much cleaner ... and towel-heads don't get any of my money ...
Craig C.

Do not get your hopes up. It was a mild winter tempature wise on the average for nation so heating oil demand was lower this winter (which is also number 2) and it can fall a bit a few months after winter but rest assured that it will climb back up withing a few months and skyrocket this winter regardless of what gas does. This past winter we averaged 1.95 to 2.10 for gas and diesel was 2.69 to 2.99. Diesel will never stay "cheap" relative to gas for any long period of time again. I have heated with oil for over 30 years so I have been buying "diesel" so to speak longer than many others. Up until about 4 years ago I could always get oil cheap in august when there was a surplus and some distributors would lock in price for whole month (I have paided as little as 39 cents a gallon). Price shot up several years ago and you can no longer count on august oe any other month to be lowest anymore. Right now 2007 winter futures has diesel between 2.75 and 3 bucks a gallon after taxes. I expect it to exceed 3 bucks easily this winter. Buying several hundred gallons at once is a bit painfull when heating oil is 2.50 a gallon and more. Last october I managed to buy some for 2.09/gal which was a deal by todays standards. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Huh? I seem to recall massive blizzards locking in people for days.

There was in a few areas but as a whole it was not a cold winter in northeast long term and overall demand for season was down below expectations. ( the rockies area around Denver does notuse much heating oil so cold there does not have much effect on prices of fuel oil) Had it been a early cold and long winter, Deisel would have hit 3.50 to 4.00/gallon last winter. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

I guess your just a baby. I can remember $0.17 a gallon!
beekeep

Interesting story. I recall reading how in Europe 50% of oil refined is diesel 25% gasoline, while in the US it's 50% gasoline, 25% diesel. Looks like they may be changing it to to get equal amounts of fuel, which hopefully keep prices down.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0704060318apr07,0,2814321.story?track=rss
True..but at this time I temporarily live in an apartment and no real place to brew the stuff. Though I could proably do it here since it's a small place and owner never comes here for anything unless he has to.

GeekBoy wrote:

My experience would suggest that this is true. I spent quite a bit of time in the UK last year. The *majority* of the passenger cars and trucks I saw and rode in were diesel. The car I had rented was a Citroen C3. Diesel powered, 5 speed. Got about 60 mpg if memory serves.

Nah ... don't brew your own unless you have the room. You can by it "pre-brewed". I purchase mine from Loves Truck Stops. Some of them carry "BioWillie". I have also seen an Exxon station advertise B20, although I don't know their source of bio. BioWillie is supposedly soybean bio (the best, IMHO).
http://www.biowillieusa.com /
Craig C.

Last time I was in Europe the cars were still spewing out lead. Since the fuels started getting heavily taxed, I can see why they switched.

Been to those places. Not all places have it all the time.
Though the Love's near Dallas does. I recall pulling in to buy some last year. 10 lanes and 5 were BioWillie. When I pulled in I was the only one there. By the time I pulled out the dino diesel lanes were full with trucks in waiting. That was the first time I put it in my truck. Now I see why the avoided it. MPG decreased by 1 MPG, however I saw a magazine article from 2 months ago. One of those diesel pickup truck mags. The showed some study that was done that showed torque increase with biodiesel.

I make my own biodiesel and I wouldn't do it in an apartment. Where do you live? There may be a biodiesel co-op in your area. See: http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/698605551
--
Ken

Thanks for the link.
No groups here as I suspected, though I did see someone interested in it from 2002 (maybe moved away) and 2006.
I would not be making it IN the apartment but behind it..

Last year you wouldn't have been so smug. Gas was cheaper. Now that I think about it has diesel dropped that much from last year? Thinking about it Diesel was at about the price gas is this year.

yes, and was the same price as unleaded plus, but I was still getting ahead with more BTUs

Queue the Sno-Troll in 3...
2...
1...
Sorry Tom, he beat your countdown by a few minuets.
"Tom Lawrence" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
It will last the summer as demand for it is much lower then unless of course too many people start buying diesel powered vehicles which will increase both demand and the price.
"GeekBoy" < snipped-for-privacy@yeehaw.com> wrote in message

Fascinating prognostication, Carnac. Tell me - where in the sky will the Sun appear tomorrow morning?
Tom Lawrence wrote:

I have no idea where you live but I will predict your weather. It will be increasing darkness by nightfall and gradually becoming lighter by morning.

I normally charge for such information but for you..... I predict that the sun will appear in the eastern horizon.

On Tue, 08 May 2007 12:06:05 -0500, GeekBoy wrote:

funny thing around here is the diesel price hasn't moved....it seems to be the gasoline price that has jumped way up. (my wife's observation that i cant argue with cause i haven't payed that close of attention to gasoline prices)
Chris
05 CTD