Diesel Question

Page 1 of 2
I don't own a diesel, never have. I've driven a few (925's, hummv's). I see diesel truck owners stop at a store or business and leave the engine running.
Not on particularly cold or hot days, either. Why is that? Is there some reason not to shut the engine off?
--
.boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Ego, they mostly want everyone to know they have one. You should let one idel for a few minutes after a hard pull but no need to in town driving. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

Yeah, that coking oil on turbo bearings is a real ego problem.
--
Max

It will not cook driving around town. Most turbos used water cooled bearings too. THere is no need at all to let is run while you in the store or during other errands unless you have two reason, one is you want to let evenone know that you have a diesel and the second it you want to make sure you are keeping the emmisions flowing for it too. . I have run some heavy equipment on and off ove rthe years and when I work one hard I may let it idle for a few minutes before I shut it down to stabilize tempaturess but I do with gas equipment too. If turbo diesels were as "fragile" as Max Dodge suggests, there would be a lot of dead ones out there. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
SnoMan wrote:

Really?
--
Ken

Why don't you stick with what you know - which apparently is limited to the gasoline engines of the 60's and 70's.
Only the Duramax uses a water-cooled turbo - both the Powerstroke and the Cummins turbo's are air-cooled.
While you are correct that just light driving around town will not get the turbo hot enough to cook the oil (assuming it's a good-quality oil), coming off the Interstate to a rest stop usually requires at least a couple of minutes of idling to ensure safe turbo temps before shutdown.

Emissions? From an idling diesel? Do you have any idea how much LESS fuel an idling diesel consumes vs. that of an idling gas engine? There's no need to maintain a specific A/F ratio on a diesel... it could be as little as 100:1. Compare that to the 15:1 ratio of a gasoline engine, and you tell me who's polluting more?

So you abused vehicles that you didn't have to pay for... big deal.

It's not like a turbo's going to grenade itself from being shut down hot once. However, over time, premature bearing wear will develop if they're constantly shut down hot. A little preventive action goes a long way to extending the life of a turbo.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Don't the Holset turbos on the Cummins engines have oil cooled bearings? I'm not familiar with the Powerstroke. http://www.holset.co.uk/files/2_3_2-turbocharger%20components.php
Trivia: The aircraft ECS turbine compressors that I worked on had air bearings. Not air cooled bearings, air bearings. The shafts rotated on pressurized air.
--
Ken

Did I say air-cooled? Man... I'm out of it today (too much work in the shop).
Sorry 'bout that... yes, they're oil-cooled
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 19:44:51 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

terrorist.
beekeep

i thought we were done with him.. how come we both cant help ourselves? just askin Tom...<BG>
--
-Chris
05 CTD

man, you just won't stop will ya? why don't you just paint a friggin target on yourself?

That depends directly on the load being moved, which is not a given in this discussion.

The suggestion was that turbos (which ARE fairly "fragile" by inherent nature) need some time to spool down. This means that rather than "ego", it may be a matter of conservative maintenance or convenience on the part of the owner.
But hey, feel free to spit vile and crap based on your stupid (yup, its stupid) opinion on the characteristics of diesels.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

Define "time". If they aren't being spun up by the exhaust gas, they won't spin for long.

funny ive never seen a water jacket pass through a exhaust manifold.
--
-Chris
05 CTD

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?t 1721

ode-de-diesel parfume'. If they are black, I usually rev it up real good before pulling out.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
MoParMaN wrote:

My exhaust smells like ode-de-fried-chicken.
--
Ken

MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!

mine too, been getting the b20 from the local shell, works well and less smoke. havent noted any loss of power or mpg either. how's it working out for you ken?
--
-Chris
05 CTD
Christopher Thompson wrote:

Other than the neighborhood dogs following me down the street it's working out great. I haven't noticed any loss of power but my mileage is down slightly on B100. Less smoke and it runs quieter.
Ken